Chapter 37

Gumball's POV:

Fionna looks straight at me. Then at Marshall. Then back at me.
"Are you guys keeping something from me?" I look down at my hands, then glance at Marshall. He smiles, and gives me a small nod. "Fionna, me and Marshall are engaged." I don't know how she'll react. Her mouth falls open slightly, her eyes wide open with surprise. "Are...are you serious?" she whispers. I nod slowly and extend my hand, showing her the ring, and a smile spreads across her face.

"Oh! It's so pretty." she gasps, then holds up her own hand. "Twinsies!" she squeals. I laugh, and she pulls me in for a tight hug. "I'm so happy for you!"

She then moves over and hugs Marshall as well. "I'm so happy for both of you." Fionna takes a step back and looks at us both.

"Now we can have a double wedding!"

"Haha, yeah. No." Marshall says back a bit too sternly.

"I was just joking," smiles Fionna, punching him lightly on the arm.

"Anyway, we should be on our way." I say. Fionna nods and we say our goodbyes. We walk to Marshall's house in more or less silence. But it's not an awkward silence. It's almost pleasant. When we enter the cave I have to stop to take a breath. It's been so long since I've been at his house. But nothing has changed. Memories flood my head.

I remember myself, young and naïve, coming here to play video games with Marshall for the first time. I can tell Marshall is having similar thoughts, for he takes my hand and squeezes it gently. We head inside. Marshall grabs some cardboard boxes from somewhere, and I go up to his bedroom to help him start sorting. I open his chest of drawers and pull out a bright green and red jumper.

"You wear this?" I ask Marshall, raising my eyebrows. He turns to me, and then covers his face with his hands.

"Ah, no. It's an old birthday present. Just chuck it in the box." I put it in, like he said, and turn back to the chest of drawers. And now that I pulled the jumper out, I see a square notebook type thing. I pull it out and see that it's a photo album. Turning the first page, I see Marshall as a child. I can't help but smile. He was so cute.

"Hey Marshall, look at this." He walks over and together we start flicking through the photos. When we are about 5 pages in, I see a picture of Marshall with his arm around a girl, and the girl kissing his cheek.

"Marshall...who is this?" His face hardens, and he doesn't reply.