Chapter 19

Flame Prince POV:

When I opened the door I wasn't expecting Fionna, since it was raining so hard. But I definitely wasn't expecting Prince Gumball. I walk back towards the living room, or kitchen, whatever Fionna calls it, making sure to stay on the foil path she laid down for me. I can see Prince Gumball eyeing me and the foil.

"We were outside, me and Fionna I mean, and it started to rain." I say. "And I don't exactly want to burn down the whole house." I add quickly. Gumball just nods and looks down. He seems distant, like he's thinking about completely different things, and has no space in his brain to think of how to answer with actual words. I sit down behind the table and wait for him to do the same. He sits down, but doesn't look at me. I don't know him too well, maybe he's always like this? "So," I say, clearing my throat. "What brings you here?" He looks up a bit, but not right at my face. "Oh, i wanted to talk to Fionna. About...something." I nod.

"Well...I don't think she'll be back that soon. Not in this weather." I stand up and walk to the window to check if it's still raining. Its calmer now, the rain barely a drizzle.

"Or maybe she will be home soon. I don't know." I go back and sit down. I think about whether or not I should tell him. It won't hurt if I do. And he probably won't tell Fionna. I shuffle over to the right and stick my fingers in a crack in the wooded walls.

"Hey," I say to Prince Gumball, sliding the object in front of him. His eyes widen and he picks it up.

"A ring? Flame prince...are you serious?" I nod my head slowly. He looks at it more closely, examining each gem stone on the top.

"Flame prince...she's only 16. I mean-" "I know," i cut him off. "I'm going to wait until her 17th birthday to ask." I feel a grin grow on my face.

"Well, that's ok, I guess." He says. I hear a knock at the door. Fionna is back. I stand up and motion to Gumball to hide it. He nods and places it back. As soon as I open the door, Fionna wraps her arms around me and gives me a quick kiss, not even acknowledging Prince Gumball. I hug her back, but briefly, not wanting to burn her. God she's beautiful. She gets prettier every day, and every day i love her more. "Fi," I whisper. "Prince Gumball is here. He wanted to talk to you about something." I raise my eyebrows at the end questioningly but she just shrugs. She walks over to Gumball and gives him a quick hug. "What's up?" She says, her voice bright and perky as usual. "Can we talk outside?" He says, a strained look on his face. Fionna realises that it is a serious matter, and nods. The both head outside, and just before Fionna closes the door I lift my eyebrows again. She just shrugs and shakes her head. We both have no idea whatsoever what's going on