Chapter 30

Marshall Lee POV:

I can feel her getting closer by the second. The rustling in the trees becomes louder and louder. I clench my fists. This is it. I look over at Gumball and he looks back at me.

"Why haven't you changed into your demon form yet?" He asks. There is panic in his voice.

"Wait." I say. Then I turn my head and my mother explodes from the trees. She looks strong as ever but I know that running around in her demon form for so long weakened her.

"You!" She bellows as soon as she sees me. I motion to Gumball to run, but he stays where he is, glued to the spot. I try to keep my ground, to show her that I don't want to fight. I cross my arms and stand up straight. But my mum lunges for me and I fly up, dodging her arm. She tries again, but she's slow, and I'm quick. "Mum!" I yell. "Why are you doing this?" She tries to hit me again but to no avail. "You left me!" She growls, "You're my SON." She gives up trying to hit me and just lets her hands hang by her side. "You're supposed to always side with your mother, NO MATTER WHAT!" She takes a step towards me. I don't care if she's yelling, as long as she's not trying to kill us. But I realise she's not walking towards me, but towards Gumball. She grabs him with her hand before he can run away. He lets out a yelp. Thankfully most of her attention is on me. I can't let her hurt Gumball. I have to make her let go of him. She turns back to me and continues talking.

"And you chose some stupid girl over me!" I'm confused for a second, but then things make sense. I told her I loved someone. And I do love someone, just not a girl.

"AND YOU JUST LEFT!" She yells again, swinging Gumball sideways. I remember something, and her actions become clearer. She's not just angry at me.

"Mum! MUM!" She looks at me like I am rubbish. "Look, I'm sorry that dad left. But he didn't leave for the same reasons as I did, and you know it! You gave me a choice, and I chose." This catches her attention. She loosens her grip on Gumball, and just stands there silently. "If you're still angry at him, go fight him! Just stop taking it out on me and my boyfriend." She looks down at Gumball and then snaps her head back to me.

"Your, your BOYFRIEND?" I nod. She stares down at Gumball, and then opens her hand, letting him fall down to the ground. She looks back at me with the same look of disgust on her face. I can tell she's getting ready to strike. "MUM, JUST GO FIND DAD AND TAKE OUT YOUR ANGER ON HIM!" I yell. I can't take her anymore. I've been trying to keep calm. Because I know that if I'm calm, that there is a bigger chance that she'll stay calm to. But now that I shouted she'll probably become aggressive again. But to my surprise, she lowers her fist and turn around. Then she stomps of into the forest without saying another word. She's gone. Gumball's safe. Gumball. I shoot down to the ground to where Gumball lies. "Are you ok?" I gasp, my voice full of worry.

"I think I sprained my ankle." He replies. I let out a laugh. "Hey! Its not funny!" I shake my head and laugh a bit more.

"She's gone! We did it! She's not trying to kill us anymore!" I smile at him. And he smiles back.