Chapter 33

Prince Gumball POV:

Marshall doesn't come back for at least ten minutes. He said he'd be right back. But he's still not back. I look at Fionna and Flame Prince, asking them if they know where he went. Fionna shrugs and Flame Prince just shakes his head. I sigh and turn back to the door. Just as I'm about to head back home, Marshall swoops through the door and grabs my hand. "Thanks for the apple. We'll be leaving now!" He shouts to Fionna as he practically drags me out the door. Gripping my hand tighter, he flies off into the air. The sun momentarily blinds me, and I snap my head to the side to see if Marshall is okay. Only now do I notice that he's wearing a cloak. He must have picked it up earlier.

"Where are we going?" I say to him. He doesn't answer, but then again he doesn't need to. I see the grassy hill top where Marshall first told me that he loved me right before us. But I doubt that he would remember such a detail. He sets me down and I step into the shade of a nearby tree. Marshall joins me, taking off his cloak as soon as he's out of the sun. I look out and notice the Candy Kingdom in the distance. I turn back to Marshall and see him staring at me. A memory flashes through my head, but I'm quickly brought back to reality by Marshall's voice.

"Gumball," he starts. "I, I want to say I'm sorry about everything that has happened in the last week. I never should have left you in the first place." He bites his lip and wrings his hands. He seems nervous.

"I- It made me realise how much I actually need you. When my mum hit you and I thought that was it for you, I just- I couldn't imagine life, not without you, I just-" he's rambling now. I can tell he's finding it hard to say things like this. But I guess vampires don't have much practise. It's cute really. A smile creeps onto my face. He gathers himself and then starts again.

"I really love you, I really do. And I wouldn't have anything to do with my life if you hadn't come along." He sticks his hands in his pockets, trying to act casual. But from the fingers moving inside his pockets, it looks like he's looking for something.

"Gumball, I..."