Chapter 28

Marshall Lee POV:

We've been sitting here for at least 2 hours now. I'm feeling better now, but I'm still quite weak. I'm still limping and I can't even float, and if my mum caught us as we were moving through the woods, we'd have no chance of escape. So we decided that its best to stay here for a while. We went to look around for a bit to see if we were at the edge of the forest, but it turns out we're somewhere in the middle. I look up at Gumball. He's sitting on a log, fiddling with a long piece of grass. His shirt is torn and his shoes are muddy. A bruise sits on his cheek from where he fell when my mum hit him. But, glob, he still looks so cute. So perfect. He looks up and sees me staring.

"What?" He asks. I smile.

"You're cute." Gumball lets out a laugh.

"We're practically lost in a forest and your mum is basically trying to kill us and that's what you say." I continue grinning at him. "Seriously though, did the impact do something to your brain?" I get up and limp over to Gumball and sit down next to him. "Seriously though, you're cute." I say planting a kiss on his cheek. He smiles at me. We both sit in silence for a while. Then Gumball says, "Hey, what if they write about this in the newspaper: Vampire King has a crazy mum." I chuckle and shake my head.

"Yeah, I'm not the Vampire King anymore." I quickly say.

"So you did become the ruler of the Nightosphere after all?" I shake my head.

"Nope. I'm just a normal vampire now."

"What? Why?" Asks Gumball. I sigh and start to explain.

"When I told my mum I was going back she wasn't exactly thrilled. She said that if I go back I won't be the ruler, that she'll strip me of my title of a Vampire King, that I won't be allowed back into the Nightosphere ...and that I'll never see her again." Gumball leans back on his arms and doesn't say anything for a while.

"I guess she didn't expect me to actually leave..." I add. Gumball doesn't even look at me. He just looks down at the ground and the half decomposed leaves.

"You gave up all that...for...me?" He finally says. I stare at him until he lifts his head and looks back at me. Slowly, I move my head closer to his face. I cup his chin with my hand and bring his lips to mine.

"Yes."