Chapter 6

Prince Gumball POV:

Walking through the school corridor i kept my head down. Only Friday to get through and I can stay at home all weekend. It has been 4 days since I saw Marshall give the note to Fionna...but I still felt...empty. I really liked Marshall. And I honestly thought that there might be a chance, no matter how small that chance may be, but still a chance that he would like me back. But obviously I was wrong. I lift my head and see Marshall walking towards me. Oh glob. Why is he walking towards me? "Uh, hey Gumball." He says. I keep walking but he starts walking next to me. "Hey." I say. He looks through his bag and pulls out some papers.

"Here," he says, holding them out to me. "The notes from the class that you missed on Tuesday.

"But I didn't-" "Just take them." He thrusts the papers at me and marches off, head down. What was up with him? I didn't miss any class this week. It's time for lunch break so I go outside and choose a bench further away from the other students. I wonder what's written on those papers he handed me. I take them out and look at the first one.

'Dearest Gumball,' My whole body tenses.

'Look, I'm sorry. I saw your note the other day. You know that note I gave to Fionna? Well it wasn't for her. It was for you. I panicked when she asked who it was for. But anyway, I like you too. Ok? Hope we are still friends. Marshall x' My heartbeat quickens and I let the paper fall onto the floor. H-He actually likes me? Marshall? A smile forms on my lips. He. Likes. Me. I look at the next piece of paper, it is smaller than the one before. I quickly recognise Marshall's nervous handwriting, when he is nervous, usually during a test, his handwriting becomes messier than usual and his 'I's become tall. I start to read what it says.

'This was for you.' It says at the top in pencil, in Marshall's normal writing. Then underneath,

'Hey, this might be a little strange but I like you, like like you. Marshall.' I fold the piece of paper into a neat square and put it in my bag. I pick up the other note and put it in too. For the first time this week I properly laugh.