Nothing Left (5) Final

The next day was, off. No one spoke, no one dared to apologize. Shane kept his distance from Hershel, Daryl and I. We all lost something yesterday, the group lost a valued member of the team, Hershel lost practically his entire family, and as for Daryl and I. We lost our little girl.

I was sitting in the RV and stared out at Daryl and the other guys digging graves for all of our loved ones. I was taken out of my trance when I heard someone come in the RV. I looked up to see Hershel standing there. He sat across from me at the table and didn't say anything. After a while of silence, he finally spoke up.

"I'm sorry about your little girl." I choked down the tears that threatened to spill and nodded.

"Sorry about your family." I responded. He was taken back that I actually replied, but went along with it.

"We can't do anything without people anymore," he said placing his hand on mine that were folded on the table. "We'll make it through this, together." I smiled and tears automatically fell. Nothing meant more to me than him saying that. It showed that he was breaking too, and that he needed me just as much as I needed him. He needed someone to relate to and compare.

// Daryl's POV //

Rick, Shane, T-Dog, Glenn and I have been digging for what feels like all day, but in reality only a few hours. The other guys worked on Hershel's family's' graves, while I was occupied on my own.

As I kept digging I felt the tension in the air. Out of the corner of my eye I saw them stop digging only to watch me.

"What?!" I said finally tossing the shovel to the side. My voice broke at the end.

"Daryl, we got this, why don't you take it easy." Glenn said, almost afraid to have said so.

"No" I simply replied and went back to digging.

"Daryl, you just lost y/n/d, you need time to mourn." Rick said. I felt the sting of tears threatening to fall, but I held it in and refused to let them see me cry.

"My daughter. I'm doin this... I have to." I said continuing to dig. The four felt awkward just standing there, so they went to go and help with the bodies in front of the barn.

Eventually, he more I thought about her, the more the tears hit me. I finally collapsed and held my head in my hands. Stifled cries came from me and I tried to silence them so no one could hear, but it was no use.

All of a sudden I felt a hand on my shoulder. I tensed up and quickly looked behind me to see Rick standing there. He crouched down to my side and sat next to me. He looked at me and just knew that I was a wreck. I looked back to y/n/d's plot and just wanted to fill it back up, like it was never supposed to be there. Like she was still missing and that she would be alive when we found her.

// Y/N POV //

Hershel and I sat in the RV for a while and swapped stories about our loved ones. I looked up and saw Daryl leaning against the doorframe, listening in and occasionally chuckling at some of the moments I shared about y/n/d. But when the laughter and stories came to an end, he came over to Hershel and I.

"It's time." He said in a low, raspy voice. It was easy to tell that he had been crying, but I didn't bring that up. I nodded and looked to Hershel who nodded as well.

Hershel led while Daryl and I followed behind. I felt his hand entwine with mine as we walked in unison. He picked my hand up and kissed it, not taking his eyes off of me. I smirked and leaned into him as we walked to the others who gathered around the graves.

Each of them was smoothed over with dirt and had rock surrounding them. At the top of the, were small vases filled with picked flowers from around the farm. I slightly smiled at the gesture, and looked around the group to see that they were all silent.

Hershel shared a few words about his wife and his other family members that were lost, and Rick stepped forward to talk about y/n/d. I stood next to Daryl, our hands still entwined. I squeezed his hand in mine and looked to see his face stained with tears. He didn't have a facial expression, his eyes just let the tears pass. He squeezed my hand back and leaned in to give me a kiss. Although it was nice, it was coated with pain and heartache. He needed to feel something, and that helped.

After the ceremony was over, everyone dispersed at their own time and all that was left was Daryl and I. I broke away from Daryl and walked up to her grave. I sat down at the side and silently prayed, almost as if I was talking to her again. It was a couple of minutes until I felt him sit down beside me. He wasn't very religious, but he bowed his head as well.

It was going to be tough. Whenever you lose someone it's hard, but we get through it. Especially now, you never know when someone will go. Y/n/d was our world, but I knew she wouldn't want to see us upset.

I looked up to Daryl and smiled. He barely smirked back, but I could tell he was trying. I put my hand on his knee and left it here for a moment.
"We'll make it." I said. He nodded and put his hand on top of mine.

We were going to be okay.