Mind Over Matter (1) (Norman)

Requested by:
jennifer451
><><><><><><><><><
- Imagine: Norman comes home and finds his wife quiet and reserved. Practically distraught. He tries to guess what's wrong, until she confronts him about another woman he's been seeing.

Song Insp: "Mind Over Matter"- PVRIS

The room was cold and the sky was dark. It was a dismal day with the heavy rain and the expected cold front passing through. I lied in bed and watched the raindrops bead off of the window. Each drop fell into another, making the size increase as is slowly rolled down the glass. Not an ounce of sunlight was seen all week, and it didn't look like there would be any the rest of the week.

I traced the hem of the bedsheets with my index finger and counted the seams. My mind was in a million places at once, but the same overbearing weight of it all buried me six feet under. I couldn't handle certain things anymore, I was a shell of the girl that I once was.

All of a sudden I heard the front door click shut. The sound of keys hitting the countertop let me know that he was home. I buried myself in the blankets even more so than before and wished I could become invisible. Just to escape the inevitable conversation I knew I would have to deal with. 

I then heard the bedroom door open and Norman put his things beside the door. I shut my eyes and hoped he would leave me be for a bit, just so I didn't have to face him.  I felt him sit down at the end of the bed, the mattress shifting song with it. He put his hand on my leg and gently whispered. "Y/N are you up?" He said in a small voice. I kept quiet, but he knew when I was faking it. "How come you didn't go into work today?" I continued to stay silent, but he wouldn't stop until he got an answer. "Babe what's wrong? Talk to me." He said. I sat up in bed with my eyes puffy and red, and my cheeks damp with tears. He looked concerned and tried to reach out to me but I moved before he could.

"Why are you crying?" He said. I grabbed the box I had stashed under my pillow that I found in one of Norman's drawers. It was a long, narrow black box with a necklace inside. It held a charm with a name engraved on it.

Norman looked from the box to me several different times. The same shocked expression on his face. I started to tear up again, but tried my best to hold it back. "So who is she?" I said, my voice cracking.

"Y/N, I can explain-"

"Yeah, I'd love to hear it." I said cutting him off. He let out a sigh and shifted until he was comfortable on the bed.

"She's just a friend." He said calmly. I nodded and got up from the bed. My hair was tied back in a loose bun that was on the verge of falling. My makeup was either smudged or gone, and I was shuffling around in my pajamas. Overall, I looked like death. Apparently my looked matched the way I felt.

I walked over to the answering machine and pressed play. The intercom started to sound as we both were silent.

You have 4 new messages.

"Hi Norman! This is (Name)! I was wondering if you still wanted to get that coffee later? Maybe see a movie? I haven't seen you in so long! I miss you! Call me."

The message stopped and went on to the next one, and the one after that. Norman stared down at the floor and didn't make eye contact once. He was dead silent, didn't even bother speaking.

"Babe why won't you respond to any of my calls? I wanted to know if you wanted to meet my parents this weekend! They said they were coming to visit and I want us all to be there! Call me when you get this! Love you!"