Prologue | The Importance Of Living

Timeline- Unspecified  | Location-Unspecified

We do not mind sacrifice if it is free.

Heavy footsteps were dragged purposely across barren fields of a world that had been calling for him for two lifetimes.

It was inevitable, even if he tried to convince himself otherwise; Fate and Destiny had wrapped their claws around his neck since his birth.

The man sneered at the concept, shaking his head at the predicament that he had landed himself in.

If anyone asked him the truth about this war, it was this, it was all a lie, and there was no escape from this. It was the same words he just told the people he loved most when he left them for this world.

Inevitable. Unavoidable. Inescapable.

No matter how it was spun, he had just given up his life for theirs, and nothing overturned that sacrifice.

The powers he held from the crystal pulsated in his chest and told the ones who knew him best that he had endured the war longer than he knew peace. Perhaps that's what separated him from those that came before. That's why he was still standing, and they were not.

A ragged breath in, and his darkened sandy blonde brows scrunched; it was all he could think about back in the world he called home when he couldn't sleep at nights, when he judged the universe for this life that he was given. The warrior asked the divine heavens before him if this life was what the universe decided he deserved.

Nobody answered. Why would they? He had his answer.

Steel blue eyes pull forward from the twinkling stars above him and back to the decay of the barren landscape, marching along to the destiny that called for him. Singing to him in a way, a mother cooed her unsettled child.

One. Two. Exhale. Three.

'Breathe, Matthew. What have I told you?' It was one of those voices he tried to block out, the one that came from a man he considered a father role model. A man that built his life at an academy where he spent his youth to become what he was.

'When the breath is unsteady, all is unsteady; when the breath is still, all is still. Control the breath carefully.'

One. Two. Exhale. Three.

Dark blue steel again watched the world intently, the long ashen lashes blinking, trying to understand the canvas of a war that sought him out.

The knowledge of what he was walking into consumed him and dried out his throat; even if an immense power coursed through his body, it didn't make what he had to do any less terrifying.

Matthew's fists gripped together as he continued along the trek of dead, decayed bodies that riddled the salt plain. Amongst the dead, he found beaten and decayed bodies in a state he had seen before.