Chapter 88 | Ceremony | What Is Ours

"Richie's with Mac," Matthew updated Sawyer. "Mya's in the hallways talking to Ginnifer. You should go find her."

Sawyer's smirk confirmed his prediction, prompting Eko to roll her eyes. Matthew's commanding tone and hint of arrogance were not lost on her. As Sawyer exited the auditorium, Matthew turned to Eko and extended his hand, smiling down at her.

Despite the numerous onlookers, Matthew held Eko close, his arms around her waist, their hands clasped together.

"There's a lot of eyes on us, commander." 

Matthew glided across the dance floor with Eko, their steps perfectly synchronized.

"The fan club knows I love to dance at these shindigs. It'll be no surprise to them," he remarked, flashing a smile.

Eko felt a pang of jealousy but quickly suppressed it. She understood that their relationship was not romantic, and she didn't want to risk what they did have.

"Careful, Skarsgard," Eko quipped, using her sharp tongue as a defense, adjusting herself to hide her emotions. "One of the fan club girls might be kidnapping you tonight with how you look. I know the stories, I won't come and save you from them," she teased.

Even though the words had tasted bitter on her tongue, Eko knew her feelings were her problem, not his. However, her concern shifted as she noticed the change in Matthew's behavior. She had meant her comment as a joke, but it seemed to have affected him differently. As he spun her back in, she looked up at him with a furrowed brow.

"Hey, what's wrong?" she asked softly, her concern evident in her voice.

Matthew sighed deeply, his hand still holding hers tightly. "Cid," he said, his steel eyes scanning the auditorium at anything and anyone but Eko.

Eko's eyes softened. "Is that why you were gone so long?"

He nodded without giving anything else up.

"Matthew? Hey, talk to me?"

"You do not need to hear me bitching and moaning at the moment," Matthew's smile faltered for a moment before he took a deep breath and looked back at Eko. "You didn't sign up for that."

Eko's heart ached as she reached out and gently touched his arm. "Hey, whatever is going on, I care enough about you. Stop it, look at me." She furrowed her brows beneath her dainty black mask.

Matthew exhaled heavily, his tone now serious and grave. "Cid's stepping down as headmaster," he said, shaking his head.

"What? Why?" Her nose scrunched as she spun out from him, scanning the onlooking fan club. It was clear she wasn't seen as a threat, having been placed in the same friend category as Jesse and Mya. Friends that weren't vying for his love or cock. But little did they know, she was in league for both.

As Eko returned to the moment, Matthew naturally pulled her closer, his expression revealing a mix of emotions. From her experience, she knew this could mean one of two things:

A) The person taking over was going to cause anarchy.

Or

B) He had just been given the weight of the world.

"Matthew? Who is he giving it to?" Eko asked.

"Me," Matthew replied with an exhale.

Eko exhaled upon hearing Matthew's response, sensing that he was still processing the news. As he spun her out again, she remained vigilant, keeping an eye on the fan club and their potential attempts to interfere.