Chapter 109 | Afternoon | Suicidal Idiot

Timeline - Afternoon

While the lingerie shopping had been a highlight of Eko's day, the soldiers accompanying her had taken all of her bags back to base when they finally regrouped.

Matthew then left her with Madison at a local coffee shop, kissed her goodbye, and continued with his soldiers toward the weapons district. Jesse had organized a meeting with one of the suppliers for their academies that afternoon, which would occupy them for a few hours.

After that, they needed to return to base. Mya had mentioned something about the soldiers' health check routines scheduled for late that afternoon. That was the second time in the last two weeks that she had insisted on it, particularly for Matthew. As he reminded her, the soldiers needed to be in excellent health, himself included. He then told her that she would be given health checks just as frequently as his soldiers were by the medical staff.

She rolled her eyes at his pedantic nature but loved him all the more for wanting to take care of her. That's how she found herself sitting patiently, sipping her latte, as she tried to block out the same irritating conversation she had heard before from her cousin. Frankly, even with her dislike for needles, the mere thought of a needle's sharp point piercing her skin sent shivers down her spine, she would rather endure that than another tedious conversation with Maddy.

Her cousin was really starting to concern her now, the very same one who took every opportunity since she told her that she was with Matthew to argue about staying permanently with the man she loved. The same conversation then turned to her wanting to leave their world immediately.

"Mads, I know where you want to be. I'm sorry, okay, but that's just not my path—it's not my life—"

But Madison interrupted, "Your life was meant to be on Mein, with the prince. Returning to our actual lives. I want to go back, I want to live in the real one. Not this make-believe one you have concocted."

Eko massaged her temples, attempting to digest her cousin's words, but Madison pressed on.

"How could you just turn your back on everything?" Madison asked, her frustration apparent.

Eko took a deep breath before responding, "Very easily. I am with someone I love. Someone that gives me what I need from this life."

Madison scoffed, clearly appalled by Eko's response. "You are so stupid!"

"Watch the name calling, I will slap you," Eko glared at her cousin angrily.

"Then wake up Sera! Your mother would never have wanted the throne to pass to someone else; she wanted it for you. To rule and lead our two worlds!"

Eko hissed back at Madison, "Mads, I am not my mother. I don't want the same things she did, and I don't want to carry her sadness with me. Mama would be happy that I found love, just as she did with Papa."

"Oh, stop it, Sera!" Madison retorted, infuriated by Eko's emphasis on love, convinced that Matthew had emotionally manipulated her into staying with him. She was determined to break his hold on her naïve cousin.

Undeterred, Madison pressed on, "Being queen was your legacy from the moment you were born, and you want to throw it away for this fake world you're hiding in. To live your life on Allegiant. For him!"

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Eko snapped, "Leave Matthew out of this!"

"Language!" Madison scolded the brunette, readjusting her posture. "If you believe you're not doing this for him, then tell him. Tell him the real reason! Go on, tell him who you really are!"

"No," Eko leaned forward, her voice rising in anger.

"Because you're ashamed of him," Madison continued.