Chapter 117 | Dance With The Devil

Eko moved through the battlefield like a force of nature, her movements both graceful and lethal. Around her, monsters fell one by one, unable to withstand the fury of her power. Blood painted the ground beneath her feet as she pirouetted, the violence intensifying with each step. In that moment, she was in her element, her body moving with fluid precision as if the chaos around her were a choreographed dance. She didn't give a second thought to how many she slaughtered; each strike was purposeful, each movement deadly.

They stood in her way of protecting him. Matthew was not like her; he didn't hold the power of gods at his fingertips, and few could cope with these kinds of creatures. Her sole objective was to reach him, to ensure his safety amidst the carnage.

Eko maneuvered through the chaos with deadly precision, her powers slicing through the relentless onslaught of monsters and beasts blocking her path. Heads fell at her feet, the ground littered with the bodies of the fallen. Her focus never wavered, her resolve steel-hard, as she carved a direct line to him. Her eyes, fierce and unyielding, locked onto her target, and nothing could deter her from reaching him.

The only way out of this was at the cost of ruining this planet once and for all. She turned at the violent sound of Matthew screaming, her heart lurching in her chest. She watched as a heavy fist knocked him to the ground, and the sight spurred her on. Eko knew she needed to dispose of these youmas fast. With a swift flick of her sword, she plunged it into the belly of a beast, unleashing a surge of energy that sent the creature flying.

As she turned to check on Matthew, her eyes widened in shock. She saw him unleashing a massive energy blast toward Xero, who stood menacingly before him. The sheer force of the blast illuminated the battlefield, casting eerie shadows across the scene. Eko was stunned, her mouth dropping open in disbelief, her breath catching in her throat. "Fuck off! Ace?" she breathed, the revelation hitting her like a physical blow. Her heart pounded, and her hands trembled as she struggled to process what she was seeing.

***** *****

Gasping for air, every breath felt like fire in Matthew's lungs. He struggled to his knees, the ground beneath him spinning from the relentless assault. Summoning every ounce of strength, he pushed himself to his feet, his body trembling with the effort. His hands shook uncontrollably as he fought to regain his balance, the world around him a blur of chaos and danger.

With his heart pounding wildly in his chest, Matthew felt on the verge of collapse when a firm hand grabbed his arm, steadying him. He looked up to see Eko amidst the chaos, her face streaked with blood and dirt, her eyes blazing with a mix of anger, annoyance, and incredulity. He knew that look she was giving him—she was definitely not impressed.

"B-Babe?" Matthew wheezed, his voice barely audible. Eko shook her head, holding his battered, bloodied gaze. She allowed him a moment to breathe deeply, her eyes never leaving his as she studied him intently. The echo of magic pulsated around them, the energy palpable. She felt the magic flooding into her bones, bringing a summery crispness to the air that lingered and rippled across her skin.

Oh, Matthew was definitely Ace. There was no question about it now. Being this close to him was like a light switch turning on so brightly that she could feel him in every depth of her bones. The connection was undeniable, an electric current surging through her, igniting every nerve.

Before she could even check on him, breathe him in, scream at him, or maybe just hit him a little for good measure, they both sensed the presence of monsters ambushing them. Eko was hit first, knocked to the ground by the critters determined to keep her away from him. The impact jarred her, but she rolled with the fall and quickly got back on her feet. Her sword flashed in a deadly arc as she cut down the nearest youma, her movements swift and lethal.