Chapter 25 | "Piece Of Cake" | Ambushed

Raising his wrist to his mouth, his voice heightened, control of the situation consumed him, and Eko watched as he began talking into the communication device attached to his suit.

"Jesse scans up now," it was too quiet. There was too much humming in the air, as though something was on the cusp, and if experience taught him anything, he knew they weren't alone.

With his free hand grasping Eko's hand, fingers slip into his own without hesitation, they turn again, either had walked too far from the site, or something was pecking off people.

Regardless their view was empty, with endless greenery of snow in the distance and an approaching storm threatening to swallow them while.

"Where the fuck is Jesse," he snapped into the comms again, "Toni, Richie?"

"I do not like this," Eko hissed, double backing their way across the field. Her hand safely in his own, her grip tightened further.

An uneasy feeling coursed through her bones, and right on cue, a deafeningly shrill cackle pierced the deathly silence, encircling them. The sound caused both of them to freeze in their tracks.

In perfect unison, they pivoted, backs against each other, as the sound of a sinister laughter echoed louder and louder.

The unnerving noise left the pair on edge, and they scanned their surroundings, their sharp gazes of steel and sky-blue eyes on high alert. Their senses were heightened, taking in every detail of the fields around them.

"Antlers?"

"Kitara's, I think. Can you hear the whistle sound at the end of that weird laugh they make?"

"Hmm," Eko nodded to that assessment.

"Matthew, if you can hear me, herds are forming," Jesse's voice broke in and out, "their scans are showing packs towards the site, Matt-..."

"Somethings interfering with the comms," Eko snapped her head over her shoulder, pointing to his wrist, "is that normal?"

"It's not. Toni, Richie?"

"We got you mate, we're already on it," their voices are immediately in response, having heard both Matthew and Jesse.

"Where are you?" Toni began. He was running from the sounds of it.

"Outskirts," Matthew acknowledged, "Eko is with me, no survivors in sight, doubling back. Load everyone up. Mya, Jasmine, acknowledge?"

"Confirmed on that," the girls responded one after the other in confirmation.

"Sawyer?"

"They're breaching; I can see them, Crowds of twenty."

Another soldier radioed in, Josh, "containment met."

"Perimeter met," another voice echoed, Luke, "we're backtracking back to the ship with tango three."

While listening to the responses, Eko stepped behind Matthew, grasping her hand onto the black sword in his double-back sword holster.

Pulling it forward, she is now back beside him, and the weapon gripped securely in her hand. These monsters would be heading straight for them.

Ezra was behind this; she knew it in her bones. She wanted to finish the job with any remaining survivors.

"Eko. Run."

"Run? Where do fucken you suggest?"

"Back to the ship," he hissed "where do you think?"

But that was all she heard, the eclipsing noise of violence ahead of them, around them, behind them. It was everywhere.

They were rampaging at the pair; they were going for blood with the survivors in the far distance, their screams compounding by the second.