Chapter 116 | House Of The Devil

"Look who's returned after all these years," Xero hissed in disgust as the red, taloned monster ensnared the man beneath its grasp. Its overlarge tail, reminiscent of the grey kitten Jesse had snuck in during their childhood, swung behind it.

The tail swished back and forth in delight at the man before it. However, Xero was no playful creature like the kitten. He was a nasty, vile red-scaled monster, smoke billowing from his nostrils in angry puffs. His intent was clear—kill, not play.

The clasp on Matthew's throat tightened as Xero lifted him into the air, leaving his feet dangling. Eko moved to intervene, but Madison pulled her back, a mix of fear and determination in her eyes. Eko swallowed hard, the lump in her throat growing as she watched helplessly, her mind racing for a way to save Matthew from Xero's wrath as he resumed speaking.

"What a curious day today has turned into," Xero leered, his tone dripping with malicious delight. He savored his control over the man who had once dared to challenge him.

"Xero," Matthew barely muttered, his breaths coming in short, labored gasps. Despite his predicament, a smirk played at the corners of his lips, a deliberate taunt to the monster. Xero's grip tightened mercilessly around Matthew's throat, hoisting him higher into the air as his feet continued to dangle helplessly. Eko lunged forward, intent on intervening, but Madison's firm grasp on her arm pulled her back.

Eko's heart pounded in her chest, every fiber of her being screaming to save Matthew. "We have to do something," she hissed, desperation lacing her voice.

Xero's laughter echoed, a harsh, grating sound that sent chills down Eko's spine. "Oh, you stupid fucking child," he mocked, his grip tightening even further. Matthew wrapped his hand around Xero's wrist, his fingers clawing desperately to loosen the ironclad grip around his throat.

The monster's laughter continued, as cold and harsh as the winds of Creon. "This won't end well for you, boy," he taunted, his voice a sinister whisper. "Your blood will soon fill my streets."

Beside Eko, Madison's grip tightened, her voice urgent with fear. "We need to get out of here, Sera. Now!" she hissed, tugging harder, trying to drag her cousin away from the unfolding horror.

But Eko's eyes were locked on Matthew, horror and determination battling within her. "No," she breathed, her voice barely audible over the chaos. "I can't leave him. I-I...?"

Eko's heart pounded fiercely as she watched Matthew's cloak flutter in the chaos, her sky-blue eyes wide with fear and determination. She stood there, immovable, her hands balled into fists. The fierce glare from her cousin Madison, who was equally shaken but for different reasons, did nothing to sway her resolve. She had never felt such hatred for her cousin as she did in this moment, for everything that had led them to this dangerous situation.

Where the fuck was Ace? She could feel his presence, his anger—so why wasn't he here? Why the fuck was he not helping? The thought consumed her, amplifying her frustration and fear. She was going to have to handle this herself. This was not going to be a fun conversation when she had to explain to Matthew who she really was once this was all over.

Just then, the tide of the battle shifted. With fierce determination etched across his face, Matthew launched a series of rapid strikes against Xero. Each punch, fueled by desperation, forced Xero to gradually release his grasp. Finally, with a powerful blow, Matthew sent Xero reeling backward. The impact made Xero stagger and release his chokehold. Gasping for breath, Matthew's expression was a mixture of pain and staunch resolve as he landed firmly on his feet, momentarily free.

He quickly surveyed the immediate surroundings for any further threats. With a sharp turn of his head to Eko, he barked, "Airstrip, three clicks from here. Move!" His voice, raw and commanding, cut through the clamor. "Toni's waiting!"