Chapter 76 | Medical Ward | The Light Bulb Moment

When she finished dinner and left the girls to prepare for the war games in the morning, she suddenly realized that the whole academy had been consumed by intense preparations for the event. The atmosphere was filled with anxiety, as bodies were scattered around like ants rushing to their next destination. 

It was somewhere close to midnight, and it seemed like everyone had just woken up. Amidst the pandemonium, she found out that most of the facilities for the next few days and educational sessions were canceled. This meant she was going to be stuck with her cousin on a 72-hour basis due to it.

As she sat calmly at the end of a bed in one of the infirmary rooms, all she heard the moment she walked in was the first degree of why she had not been there at the crack of dawn. Eko's eyes rolled; the crack of dawn was nearly 18 hours ago.

Madison had spent the best week of her life in the infirmary healing from the attack, and she wanted to slow down the process to maintain some sanity. This meant that she had refused to use her powers to heal Madison's injuries, telling her that they had to wait it out to avoid suspicion.

She was not in favor of that whatsoever. Eager to get out of the infirmary, she didn't trust her cousin being alone in the academy, susceptible to any form of influence from these so-called peacekeeping soldiers. Especially from a certain Commander that she had despised more and more. Every time Sera visited, her ridiculous smile seemed to grow brighter and longer, suggesting that her fan-girl obsession was spiraling out of control.

Madison, feeling restless and anxious, found it increasingly difficult to get information from her cousin about when they were leaving. Each time she tried to steer the conversation in that direction, Eko seemed to deflect. Madison decided that confronting her cousin was the best course of action.

"Have you got this little obsession off your chest now? Slept with that disgusting pig enough to finally see reason?" Madison's words cut through the room.

"Wow?" Eko's eyes widened, taken aback by the hostility. "I know it's late, but do you want me to get you some coffee? Clearly, you're in an asshole mood," Eko snipped, adding a touch of sarcasm. "Or some Prozac?"

"Wash your mouth out, Sera!"

"Can you not!" Eko barked, her smile faded, replaced by a harsh frown. "It's Eko. How many times do I need to tell you to use my name?" The tension hung thick in the air, and Madison's frustration seemed to intensify.

"I am using your name," Madison leaned into the pillows, "And I disapprove of the specific name you call yourself, I disapprove of him, and I disapprove of your obsession with spreading your legs for him. We have discussed this."

"Yes, at length," Eko replied, gazing down at her nails. She was in desperate need of a manicure; this was probably the longest she had gone without one.

As Madison continued to voice her disapproval, Eko's thoughts wandered. She couldn't fathom why Madison had taken it upon herself to restore her title and prevent her from being further drawn into what she eloquently described as a 'corrupted' world. Eko felt a surge of anxiety every time Madison pressed the issue, as if she couldn't comprehend the need for some breathing space.

"I want you here first thing in the morning," Madison barked, suddenly redirecting Eko's attention back to her. "I have asked to be discharged immediately."

"I do have a few classes after the break-"

"Ridiculous, you don't need to do all of that to fit in, especially since we'll be leaving soon," Madison said, her voice softening. "You're well-educated enough regardless. They couldn't possibly have the education that you have had."