Chapter 34

TW:

***

It feels like I'm floating. I feel so light. There's no responsibility on my shoulders. There's no pain. No suffering. Just... calmness. I stand in the middle of the Field Of Reeds. The sound of quiet is liberating.

Everything just feels right. It's exactly what I wanted. Peace.

To be at peace. It's a beautiful thing, almost too beautiful to belief. The complete sense of being at ease. Being at peace means something different to every individual.

For most, being at peace means being alone for a while. Having a relaxing bath, maybe getting away from the kids or going on holiday. But for some, being at peace can mean just a moment of silence in their mind. For most, peace comes easy. For some, peace comes hard. But in the end, everyone finds their peace. Just for some, their peace can come too late.

I look around at my little peace in the Field Of Reeds. Meeting a set of eyes I didn't think I'd see again.

"Am I dead?" I ask. The sight of my sister before me making me wonder.

A small smile forms on her lips. "Not quite" she replies.

"Am I dreaming?" I question.

"I'm not sure" Josie answers.

Seeing my dead sister in front of me, while not being dead myself makes me believe this may all be a lie. A fixture of my imagination. But nonetheless, my sister is in front of me, a smile on her lips.

"They're all waiting for you" she says. "Marc. Steven. Jake. Mum and dad"

"I wish you were with us too" I tell her.

"So do I" she admits, "but I like it here"

"Me too" I agree. Everything seems so simple up here.

"I still love you, Jasmine" Josie says. "For infinity"

I smile. "I love you for infinity Josie, I never lied about that"

"I know you didn't" Josie says.

"Josie. There's something I need to tell you" I say, coming closer to her. "Even if this is a lie, an illusion. There is something I must say. You saved me Josie, multiple times and for that, I cannot repay you. You gave me hope that my life had a purpose. You taught me how to make sacrifices. You made me feel loved when nobody else could. You made me happy. Even though our time together was short. I will never be able to thank you enough for everything you did for me. Thank you Josie, for our little infinity"

Josie smiles, a soft, caring smile. With tears brimming her eyes.

"I'll be waiting for you, Jasmine" she says, holding out her hand. "Go and enjoy your freedom"

I reach out, my finger tips brushing Josie's hand as once again, I say goodbye.

- - -

Jasmine's eye's flutter open. A dull ache over her body. A heaviness on her eyelids.

Her eyes are met by a bright white light above her. For a moment she believes she's seeing the gateway to heaven, if there even is such a thing, until the feeling of her body begins to come back to her and her eyes start to focus.

She sees the tiles of a hospital room above her. For a moment, she panics. Before feeling something. She moves her head and relief floods through her body.