3. Bitter surprise

"If me and Huaisang are buddies, you and me could be brothers" 

This statement from Wei ying eased Jiang cheng's sore heart after a few days of getting along. 

As for the name, Jiang cheng settled for Xian, and Wei ying too wanted to give the privilege of using his birth name 'Wei ying' only to his Lan zhan. In their previous birth when everyone called Lan zhan either as Wangji or Hanguangjun, only Wei ying had the rights to call his husband by the birth name. So in this birth, he wanted to reserve his rights for Lan zhan. 

Wei ying also thought about giving it all to his studies, in order to skip at least a year of college life and get a year close to his beloved. But that would mean he should ignore Jiang cheng's feelings which is obviously a thing he cannot do. Even if he did, no one would like it, if a future secretary of a corporation is to lead their future boss academically. 

Few weeks passed just like that while Wei ying had not received any solid information on when Lan zhan would return. 

One Thursday night when it was time for sleep, Jiang cheng received a call from someone from his family. 

"Dad asked me to bring you home for dinner" 

Jiang said after he ended the call. Wei ying had expected that this day would come. 

"And I've a surprise for you." Jiang cheng's face was proud like he did well in exams. 

But Wei ying didn't give much thought about surprise as his brother is a weird human. The more he felt happy about seeing his foster family, a part of him felt awkward. He didn't know how to stop the overflow of emotions when his shijie and parents were present. 

And the fact that Jiang Fengmian didn't contact him through the butler, like a business deal but asked Jiang cheng to pick him, plastered a smile on his face. 

The next day, as planned, Wei ying reached the Jiang residence with Jiang cheng. Stood there a woman, with stern expression at the entrance and Wei ying oddly felt bliss. 

Ignoring Jiang cheng's introduction, the lady motioned Wei ying to go near her. 

"Can I hug you A'xian?" came the question. 

Wei ying answered with a warm hug. There was fondness in Madam Jiang's face as she pat Wei ying's shoulders. Throughout this process Jiang cheng looked dumbfounded. 

Behind Madam Jiang was Jiang Fengmian, and both had immense love in their eyes as they brought Wei ying inside home. 

Wei ying didn't know how to ask them about how they were related but waited patiently, tying his tongue. 

"How do you know him?" It was Jiang cheng who broke the silence. 

Wei ying came to know that similar to his previous birth, his biological parents are related to the Jiang couple. He was however not clear about why they were not ready to meet him until today. In any case, Jiang cheng is the only one to be more happy to have found another reason to prove that he is closer to Wei ying now. 

Yanli joined them in a while and she treated Wei ying like her own brother which is not anything to be surprised about. 

When it was time for dinner, Madam Jiang informed them that they were hosting a guest for dinner and they could expect them anytime soon. 

"Surprise" Jiang cheng hinted when Wei ying raised his eyebrows. 

In another twenty minutes, the main door opened to reveal Lan Qiren and the Lan brothers. 

Wei ying was astonished to see them, or to see him to be precise. 

His Lan zhan looked stunning in the modern attire and it almost blinded Wei ying's eyes to take in more handsomeness. After the elders exchanged greetings Lan qiren saw Wei ying, and Jiang Fengmian introduced him as a new family member, which came off as another surprise. 

Until dinner, Wei ying did not get any opportunity to hit on his man, as they were not alone. As soon as Lan zhan finished having his food, Wei ying followed and said a hi from behind. 

This did not go unnoticed by Xichen however Jiang cheng was talking to him so he didn't concentrate on the couple. 

Lan zhan turned to see the unruly young man smiling at him. 

"Hi"

"Do you have someone you like?" Wei ying did not wait much. 

"Pardon?" 

"I asked whether you have someone you like. Because I like you and.." 

Before Wei ying could finish what he wanted to say, Madam Jiang called out both of them to join them in the living area. Lan zhan excused himself like nothing happened and left Wei ying. 

For Wei ying, losing this chance didn't matter much, as they would have many more encounters in the future in the university, since Lan zhan has returned. And telling Lan zhan about liking him came naturally like he has always done before. 

In the living area, everyone had already taken their seat and it looked more like an important phase of something. Hence Wei ying hesitated, before Yanli called out his name to sit beside her. 

"So how do you feel about this Wangji? You can be honest." Qiren looked for an answer like everyone did.

Yanli's palms shivered as she twisted the hem of her long sleeve. Wei ying, though not sure what was being discussed, noticed her tension, held her palm and pressed it to ease the tension. 

"A'li, how about you?" Fengmian asked his daughter. 

Yanli smiled and a cold current passed through Wei ying's veins in a fraction of seconds. 

Jiang cheng looked shocked. 

"So it's a yes from our side." Madam Jiang answered. 

"Wangji?" Xichen looked at his brother waiting for his reply. 

Never in his wildest dreams did Wei ying think that he would be slapped by fate, right on his face.