☆Chapter Thirty-Eight☆

°•° Betrayed °•°

                                                                                                      °•° Betrayed °•°

------------------------- AFTER I ESCAPED THAT AWFULLY AWKWARD DINNER, to Mr. Blackbourne's study, I picked up the discarded book I had left there since that day and started to read.

"Come 'ere Xena!" I laughed and beckoned her over to lay next to me on the large leather coach, she immediately followed and laid her large head on my lap, before looking up at me with her big, icy eyes. "Do you have a bad feeling too, Xena?" I whispered to her worriedly as she whined and buried her face into my lap. 

"Listen girl," I smiled and picked up her big head and cradled it in my palms; "If anything happens to me you have to protect Mom and Gramps--and even the boys...Okay?" I whispered to her; I like to think dogs have a much greater understanding of the human language than most people think. Xena had always been smarter than the average dog. 

"Good girl...I love you X." I placed a kiss on her nose before I picked my book back up and continued to read--I was almost through with it until Mr. Blackbourne came inside and stopped in his tracks once he saw me there.

"Miss. Brett," He cleared his throat, "I-I didn't think I would find you in here." He awkwardly stated as I flipped to the next page of my book, "You said I was welcome in here---Unless that's changed." I kept my tone even and cool, even without glancing at him. But I finally did when I heard his breath catch.

"It would never." His eyes reflected just how hurt he was from my words, and my indifference to him. "I'm---" He started but I cut him off, "I know. You're sorry." I completed for him, finally placing my book down. "I am--more than you know." He sighed and sat down at his desk chair, across the room from me. 

"Do you want me to leave?" I finally asked him as he fiddled with his hands, eyes never straying from my frame. 

"That's alright--I just had to grab a couple things before I headed out." He swallowed and finally grabbed a couple papers from off of his desk before he stopped by the door,

"We don't love her, you know. I-I thought we did--but I was wrong." He whispered as I stopped dead at his words. My heart clenched, "It doesn't matter now." I quietly croaked, trying to gain back the confidence I had moments earlier. 

"Doesn't it?" He retorted angrily before closing the door behind him. 

"Men." I rolled my eyes and huffed, "Men are so confusing, huh Xena?" I laughed slightly before rubbing my face, what a fucking day it's been. 

"You got that right," A voice from the door spoke in a distorted voice quietly. I gasped and jumped up and Xena shot to her feet with a loud, violent growl. My eyes took in the tall figure wearing a mask--a mask exactly like the one I took from that freak, Volto.