Chapter 50 | checking in

L sat at his computer, scrolling through all of the chat log data and website data one more time just to double check. Once you'd voiced your concerns to him about potentially missing something, he figured he should check just in case. You sat next to him, on a video call with your dads. They always checked in on you, L found it really sweet.

You'd updated them on the case, and your plans to come back to visit once it was over and spend the end of the year with them. That way they could meet L in person and you could finally see your parents after months of being away for cases.

"I'm not built for Winchester, it's too cold here. Even when the weather is warm it's still cold by my standards" you said.

"By the time you get back it'll probably be winter here, you aren't escaping the cold for a while" dad replied.

"Ugh, I need some warmth for once. Weather warmth not stealing all of L's body heat warmth"

L playfully whacked your arm at the joke, making you snicker and whack him back.

"What? You're warm" you said.

Your dads were glad to see you and L together, they'd hoped you'd find someone that truly loved you one day and it was a joy to see you finally experience it.

"Got a set date in mind?" Father asked.

"Not really. The case is still open right now so hopefully by October at the latest" you replied.

"Come back by Halloween, you can't miss your traditional drunken mishaps. Also we need to give L a birthday party" dad added.

L would admit he was a big exited to visit during Halloween. It was always his favourite time of year, not just because it was his birthday but because it was spooky season. He liked a good ghost movie and the cheap Halloween decorations. And trick or treating is literally getting free lollies.

"What about the kid? Will she be ok without you?" Father asked.

You hadn't actually thought about that, while Rosie was a resident of wammys and settled in well, you and L were her adults. She was most attached to you since you were the ones that rescuers her.

"Oh yeah, I didn't think of that... I mean she's settled in really well here but I have no idea how she'd take us going away" you pondered.

You looked over at L for his input, and after a moment of thinking, he shrugged. He wasn't sure how she'd react either, she was very attached to the both of you but there was no telling if she'd be able to handle it or not.

"Well if she doesn't take it well, she can always come with you. Your old bed from when you were a kid is in the spare room anyway" father said.

"Really? You'd have to handle another kid in the house. I mean after raising me I figured you'd be done with kids, I was a trouble maker" you replied.

"Oh you were a trouble maker alright. But hey, kids are delicate and if she's attached to you two then it'd be cruel to leave her. Plus, it'll be like having a grandkid" dad added.

You playfully groaned at the last part, what was it with parents and wanting grandkids?

"She'd not even legally ours, she's just attached to us. You two just want grandkids" you laughed.

"Hey, that's just how parents are. We like to see your little babies grow up and have their own, doesn't have to be biological" dad said.

You looked over at L, who had an amused smirk on his face at the parental teasing you were getting while he scanned through the chat logs.

"Wipe that smirk off your face, you're the father figure here!" You said.

L just giggled at the banter. It this point he'd stopped denying he was totally a father figure to his successors and Rosie. He never planned it, it just kind of ended up that way. But if that's what the kids needed, then he'd gladly help them as much as he could.

"See, L agrees. Listen to your boyfriend (y/n)" father teased.

"Yeah, yeah. Well we still have a case to finish and some time to kill before October. So we'll see how we go, if she reacts badly to the idea of us leaving we'll bring her. If not then she can stay here and be with her friends" you replied.

"Yeah don't stress it right now, closer to the time. You two still have a case to close. But other than that hun, you've made time to keep up with-"

The sound of the door opening and you looking up from the computer made you all stop your conversation to see what was going on. And as was usual by now, it was Rosie coming to see you after she'd finished her classes. She always wandered into your little taskforce room after class, she just liked to be around you. If she wasn't playing with the other kids or sitting in the halls making domino chains with Near, she was with you and L.

"Hey Rosie-Posie!" You smiled.

She waved hello, and skipped on over to your side of the table. Once she saw other people on your computer screen, she suddenly got a little shy and hid behind L's chair.

"Aww! She's such a sweetie" dad cooed.

"I'm talking to my dads, wanna say hi?" You asked her.

She hesitated a moment, scared on new people. But she figured if they were your parents and you and L trusted them, then it would be ok. So she nodded and let L pick her up and sit her in his lap.

"L's been teaching her sign language, she's gotten pretty good. Although long conversations are still a bit of a challenge" you explained.

"Wow she must be one hell of a gifted kid to learn so quickly" dad said.

"I know right, she totally fits in at this orphanage"

She shyly waved hello to your dads, who gave her a smile and wave back. Despite her shyness, she was intrigued. She'd never heard of having two dads before, she had a mum and a dad before she was orphaned. And so did all her friends. You were a rather gender ambiguous person though, so if you existed it wasn't a stretch to think you could have two mums or two dads.

"This one I call dad and this one I call father. That way I don't mix them up. Father also knows sign language, I bet he and L gossip about me using sign language" you explained, pointing out who was who.

"What? Psht- no we don't gossip about you? Definitely not. Right L?" Father said, definitely not sarcastically.

L played along, nodding in agreement not suspiciously at all. Rosie giggled, finding the banter you all had funny. She missed feeling like part of a family, but being with you and L and meeting your parents felt kind of like being in a family again.

Your father signed a greeting to her, which made her smile and she returned the gesture. She liked being able to talk to people with her hands, it was less scary than talking with her voice.

"Uh oh, here they go. They'll be gossiping about us again dad" you joked.

"We really should learn it just so we know what they're saying" he replied.

And just as you expected, your father, L and Rosie ended up having a whole conversation with signs rather than talking. All while you and your dad tried to decode what they were saying and cracking jokes.

The whole time, Rosie smiled.

She wanted to tell you and L how much she appreciated all the help, and making her feel included. She wanted to tell you and L that you made her feel like she was part of a family again. Even though she'd always miss her real parents and never forget them, you and L had a similar feeling to her parents. She wanted to tell you thank you for rescuing her, and thank L for teaching her sign language and helping her communicate without talking.

So much had happened to her in such a short amount of time, and it was very overwhelming for someone her age. She'd hit rock bottom and been scooped up by loving arms to help her climb back up again all in a few months. Even if her tragedy would affect her forever, she felt like she could get through it thanks to you and L.

And she promised herself that when she was able to talk to you and L together, she'd tell you how much she loved you.