Chapter 63 | it all comes crumbling

Half a year ago, you started this case as a string of poison murders. Now you were in another country, nearing the end of the case with a kidnapping connected to a crime ring. This arrest was the last one you'd have to make, and now all you needed was enough evidence to secure a conviction.

You and were again looking through the belongings of a criminal. Hopefully this would be the last time for this case. The items you ceased included a laptop, the wifi router and desk setup, hard drive, phone, day planner and a few notebooks.

After checking the notebooks and planner, you had a few ideas on where to look next. There was a day in the planner that was labeled 'meet up' and nothing else. Unlike the other days which had detailed notes on what had to be done that way. The date of the 'meet up' was what you were looking for in the computer and phone. To see if there was any evidence of her meeting up with the kidnappers on that day, or leading up to that day.

Even a phone call record would be enough, you didn't need a full admission of guilt to prove her guilty. She could say she was innocent all she liked but the evidence would speak for itself.

"There's not much on here, mainly work stuff. Even in the deleted data it's nothing too alarming. I can't find any record of using the dark web either. She doesn't even have a tor browser" you muttered.

L was busy next to you on his laptop with the ceased phone plugged in looking through all the text and call history. He was checking everything just in case, but was keeping an eye out for the date mentioned in the planner.

"Try getting into the wifi router, it tracks internet history even if you delete it" L mentioned.

"You're right, lemme pull that up..." you replied.

Connecting the router to the laptop, you had to wait a moment for a connection to be made and the program to load. You looked over L's shoulder as you waited, seeing the screen full of phone records. On a sticky note he had all the known numbers of the kidnappers written form to match them up with numbers in the call history. L was in focus mode as he often was when he analysed cases like this. Eyes glued to the screen and laser focused on matching numbers up.

Turning back to your computer, the program had loaded and you began to scroll through the internet history from the router and looked for any sketchy urls. Anything from a messenger site or the dark web would be a dead give away.

The two of you felt like you'd been scrolling for ages, just scanning page after page looking for something that would connect. You both knew Miss Andrea was the culprit, you just needed the link to prove it in court.

Either way she was going to be charged, there was evidence of her hurting her students. But you both wanted justice for Rosie and a full sentence for that crime as well.

The current charges she was looking at was child abuse, assault of an officer from when she hit and bit you, resisting arrest and child neglect. There was no way she wasn't going to prison already. But you and L needed that assisted kidnapping charge as well, to solve the full case and to get justice for Rosie. The two of you were taking on the role of parents for her, and you damn well took it seriously, no one hurt your baby girl and got away with it.

The silence of your monotonous endless scrolling was broken when L suddenly grabbed your arm and gave you a squeeze. He'd found something.

"What is it?" You asked, leaning over to look at his screen.

"Here, on the 12th of July. That phone number is the same as the one who had Rosie when you rescued her. An incoming call so they called her" L explained, pointing it out.

Sure enough, the numbers matched. It was one of the known burner phone numbers from the case.

"The call lasted 20 minutes, and was three days before the kidnapping. That's no coincidence" you replied.

"That's our first bit solid proof she was in contact with the kidnappers. Keep looking this could be around the time they planned it" L said.

You scrolled all the way back up to July 12th on your laptop, looking for her internet activity on that day. Outside of work related searches that didn't raise any red flags, you spotted a link that you hadn't seen before now. A messenger site, and upon following that link you found it deleted messages after 24 hours. The perfect way for criminals who don't want to be tracked to communicate. Use that and a VPN and all those conversations were untraceable.

"L look, this messenger site deletes messages after 24 hours. There's one hell of a strong chance this is how they discussed the plan outside of phone calls so no one could track what they were saying" you pointed out.

L only had to take one look at the webpage before coming to a conclusion.

"I've seen that site before, many criminals have used it on cases I've solved. The fact the site is still up and the proper authorities haven't taken it down when it's so clearly being used for sketchy reasons is beyond me" L agreed.

"A known site for criminals? Yeah that's not damming evidence at all" you joked sarcastically.

"Screenshot all this and compile it. It's all good evidence, we can build a timeline of events from all this and what we already know from the previous arrests of the kidnappers"

The world was already crumbing down around your culprit, Miss Andrea. She sat in a holding cell as she awaited trail and further investigation. But the evidence you and L just knew you'd find on her devices was putting the final nail in her coffin. There was no escaping her crimes now. She was the final part of those case, the last one to be sentenced. And this whole crazy mess of a case within a case would be over.

Neither you nor L bargained for this when you first met thinking it was a mysterious string of deaths and that's it. The fact three separate cases were connected was still wild to you even when you were so close to solving everything and putting it behind you.

And on top of you, you had a child looking up to you as parents now. And of course, the detective you expected to be just your coworker was your partly mute but making amazing progress boyfriend now.

Definitely not what you excepted starting this case. But finally, you had what you needed to finish it all.