34

Amethyst waits for Meagan to fall asleep, "Baby?" She whispers and taps Meagan's shoulder. When there is no response she sighs in relief and after kissing her girlfriend's forehead she slowly and carefully leaves the bed. She sends a text letting him know it's safe to come over and sits by the window for his arrival. He knows not to knock on the door but rather send a text so he doesn't wake up Meagan. Amethyst feels guilty but also gets an adrenaline rush like never before. It doesn't take long for the mystery man to come and leave and for Amethyst to be back in bed. She doesn't sleep though, she just stays awake and scrolls through her phone until sunrise then cleans the house.
This has become the new normal and on the night before River's funeral, nothing changes.
"Why have you been cleaning so much?" Meagan asks.
"I haven't been able to sleep." Amethyst answers.
"Yeah, I keep having nightmares," Meagan tells her.
They hired a driver to take them to and from the funeral, with their small social circle it isn't much of a funeral. The two sit at the cemetery and have a pastor say a few words before they each say their final goodbyes when an unexpected visitor shows up.
"Meagan, look!" Amethyst says to Meagan.
She turns around and sees her Mother dressed in black, holding roses.
"Mom?" Meagan says and without a second thought runs up to her.
"Mom!" She cries.
"Oh, my baby." Meagan's mom says as she sobs, "I'm sorry." Over and over again. 
Amethyst slowly walks up to them and starts to cry as well.
"What are you doing here? How did you know about this?" Meagan asks her mom.
"I heard from the attorney and at that very moment I had a change of heart." She tells her then turns to Amethyst and says, "Thank you for being so good to my daughter."
"Of course Mrs. Stanford. I love her and that's what people do for those they love." Amethyst replies.
"I am so thankful for you and all you've done for her. A lot has happened after court and I'm working on breaking free from the plantation myself." Mrs. Stanford tells them then says, "Little Miss River's passing opened my eyes and made me realize I should've been there for my own baby girl."
Meagan wants to be mad at her mom for taking so long to realize this but can't find it in her to be mad. The three girls sit in chairs in front of the tiny white casket and listen to the pastor's words.
"We are brought together today under circumstances that shouldn't exist, but through the bad there is good. River brought her mother and grandmother back together as well as her other mother Amethyst. Although River was born in the Lord's arms, may she be remembered and her legacy lived through these three beautiful women in front of me." He says before motioning for Amethyst to take the microphone, she stands up and begins to speak,
"River, my sweet precious girl. I kept trying to find the right words to say but kept getting distracted by the fact I'm planning what to say at your funeral.
I should be looking forward to planning many birthdays, graduations, and your wedding, but instead, this is all I get. Even though it's not much, it's better than not knowing you at all. Maybe someday we will meet again but until then I'll look up and the stars and always remember you."  Amethyst says and then finally allows herself to cry.
"Mother, I'm not ready yet. You say something now." Meagan says taking her mom by surprise. She gets up and takes the microphone from Amethyst and quickly thinks of what to say as Amethyst sits back down.
"River, I wasn't excepting to speak so excuse my lack of grace and poise. I'm just a little shaken up right now. My precious, darling granddaughter you are so loved. I love you." Mrs. Stanford says and let's a few tears fall. Meagan has never seen her Mother cry before, let alone in front of people! It comes as a shock to see her mother break her "keep sweet and happy" attitude that they all were trained to have.
Then, Meagan stands up and goes next to her daughter's casket, taking a deep breath and trying her best to speak.
"River Amethyst Rose, my little Angel. There are no words to describe just how badly I miss you and how much I love you. I don't have anything poetic to say, only an I love you and I wish you could stay. I'll never ever forget you and I will live my life in memory of you my love." She says and then breaks down, falling to the floor in tears. Her mother and Amethyst quickly rush to her side, there on the grass next to where the casket is now being lowered they also cry as one.