43

It's hard to see stars in the busy city, but on the remote hiking trail, stars are everywhere. "I've never been here in the dark before," Amethyst says as she looks up at the sky. "Neither have I, I should've done this sooner," Meagan replies also looking up at the stars while walking. Hand in hand they walk up the trail, nothing but a few glances and shy smiles are shared between the two. That is until Meagan's hand slips away, "Mother fucker!" She screams as she falls to the ground. Amethyst can't help but laugh, "Are you okay baby?" She asks, holding out her hand for her to stand up but still laughing. "You are so kind," Meagan replies sarcastically. "I'm sorry, your scream was just so cute," Amethyst tells Meagan and helps her stand up. It doesn't take Meagan to be up, skipping around and singing random melodies. Amethyst soon joins her, feeling like a child again. They walk along logs, balancing on them as if they are balancing beams. "I wonder what happened to Mariah," Meagan says out of nowhere. "I don't know. How close were you two anyways?" Amethyst asks in response. "Why are you jealous?" Meagan asks sarcastically just to annoy her. "No, I was just wondering. Should I be jealous?" Amethyst asks. Meagan laughs and shakes her head, "She was a privileged rich ass bitch. I just didn't have anyone else." She says.
"Why didn't you reach out sooner?" Amethyst asks, taking a seat on a log.
Meagan sits down next to her, "I didn't know your number and was afraid to look too much for fear that I'd see you with someone else." She answers. Amethyst lets out a low laugh, "The only person I ever wanted was and still is the girl next to me. Everything else was just random hookups to fill the void." She tells her with a sigh. Meagan wraps an arm around Amethyst and lets her finish talking, "It somehow made more of a void though. I couldn't stop thinking about you, I know it sounds like a cliché but it's the truth. I'm sure I would've settled down eventually but not happily." She tells her.
Meagan tries to hold back her laughter but can't, "I swear to god, what's gotten into you?" Amethyst asks, slightly laughing with her. "So you were fucking bitches while thinking of me?" Meagan says with a smirk. Amethyst laughs for real this time as she says, "For lack of better words, yes." Meagan smiles, "I love that." She says half joking, half serious. "I love that you are back in my life." Amethyst replies as she looks up at the stars. "I am too and though I didn't want you to help me, I'm glad you did. Thank you." She tells her. "Baby, you saved me!" Amethyst says back. That's when Meagan gets on the ground and asks Amethyst to lay with her. They lay side by side when she asks, "Ami, have you ever wondered if there is more than this?" Meagan turns to look at Amethyst and notices that she is pondering this question deeply. "Yeah, there has to be, right? There has to be a reason for our existence and all the good and bad things." She eventually says. "I like to think that there is a God out there but not the one I was taught about," Meagan replies. "I agree, I try not to think about it too much though," Amethyst tells her. "I try but I fail." Meagan then says. Meagan gets closer to Amethyst, laying her head on her chest, "You've come a long way my love and I am so unbelievably proud of you." Amethyst tells her. Meagan smiles, "I think I'm proud of myself too." She replies. They lay there, on the ground, enjoying the fall weather. Finally, for a moment, having a peaceful moment.