9

The night becomes day, then night, and then day once more. The two are up and ready for Meagan's ultrasound appointment, even though neither of them wants to be up early, they are just happy they are up for a good reason. Meagan used to only be a morning person but that changed when she became pregnant. Now, she just wants to sleep all day every day, or maybe it's just her depression. Meagan looks over at Amethyst as she lies on the examination table waiting for the doctor to perform the ultrasound. "Are you nervous?" Amethyst asks. "No, not really, maybe a little? I don't know." Meagan replies. She knows she's nervous but doesn't know how to put her feelings into words, there is too much going through her head to properly say what she is feeling.
Amethyst is also a nervous wreck. She hopes everything is okay with the baby as well as Meagan but, she doesn't let Meagan see that. Amethyst fears it'll worry the poor girl even more and rightfully so.
Before they got the chance to say anything else, the doctor knocks on the door before proceeding to open it.
"Hello there, I'm Doctor Jankins, I will be performing your ultrasound today. If you have any questions just let me know. Are you ready?" Mrs. Jankins asks.
Meagan nods and lifts up her shirt for the gel to be put on her belly, she flinches from how cold it is. Amethyst smiles at Meagan's growing bump, she feels so protective of the little one inside the bump and the woman carrying the child.
Meagan can't tell if she is more nervous about the baby or having to go to the doctor. She never got the opportunity to go to the doctor as a kid so this is a whole new world for her. As the ultrasound proceeds, Amethyst doesn't take his eyes off the screen, she doesn't want to admit it but she is probably more nervous than Meagan is. She lets out a sigh of relief when the doctor finds the heartbeat and says it's perfect.  "Are you guys wanting to know what you are having or would you want to wait?" The doctor asks.
Meagan looks over at Amethyst for any sort of guidance. "It's up to you," Amethyst tells her. "I would like to know now," Meagan replies as she grabs Amethyst's hand.
After a few seconds, they hear the doctor say, "Congratulations! it's a girl!" As soon as the words leave the doctor's mouth, both Meagan and Amethyst smile from ear to ear.
Meagan starts to tear up and so does Amethyst, usually it would be from sadness but not today. Today is different and definitely deserved.
The doctor gives the two a moment to relish in the joy of what they just found out before asking another question, this time more serious. "Now, I hate to ruin the mood but as a doctor, I need to address this. I don't want you to feel embarrassed but I noticed fresh self-inflicted injuries and want to make sure you're okay." She says. Meagan immediately feels ashamed,
"I'm fine." She replies.
"Well, from my years of practice, I know that's more than likely not true. There are so many recourses out there for you that I think would be helpful. I highly suggest going it see a therapist and I can make the referral today." The doctor tells her.
"Yeah that would be great thank you," Meagan replies.
"Can I be referred to?" Amethyst asks.
"Of course, you two will have appointments separately of course but I'll get that referral in for you." The Doctor tells them.
They get the ultrasound pictures and head back to the car. "I'm proud of you," Amethyst says, holding onto Meagan's hand.
"I'm proud of you too," Meagan replies.
When they get back to the house, they go over and sit on the couch. "Can I see the pictures of your baby?" Amethyst asks. "Our baby, well if that is still okay with you, yeah sure." She tells Amethyst and hands her the pictures. They look at the pictures and starts to tear up again, "It's defiantly okay with me." Amethyst replies then places her hands on Meagan's stomach. "I promise to always be here and to protect you and your mommy as best as I can. I will do anything and everything in my power to keep you both safe and treat you with all love and kindness I can offer." She says and then looks at Meagan and asks, "Can I give her a kiss?" Meagan laughs, "Of course Ami! Thank you for asking."
She then gently kisses Meagan's stomach. "I am so thankful for you Amethyst," Meagan tells the girl sitting next to her.
"And I you." Amethyst replies.
Meagan silently wished Amethyst would've asked to kiss her as well, she thought about asking herself but couldn't bring herself to find the courage. Meagan wants so desperately for them to be a happy little family but isn't sure how to make it happen.
Only time will tell.