Chapter 60: Jelly Jelly

AUTHOR

Wicked woke up to the sound of a dog barking. He recalled his neighboring BSAA soldier has a pet dog. He looked down and saw Y/n's head on his chest and his left arm around her shoulder. 

Then, he heard vehicles parking outside. Laughter erupted as several men started talking nonstop. Wicked glanced at the clock on his wall.

6:05 PM

The dog already stopped barking which means it recognizes the guests. Wicked didn't waste time and immediately pulled himself away from Y/n who's still sound asleep. He stood up and shook her fragile body.

"Y/n wake up! Come on, Y/n!" He panicked.

The female groaned but didn't budge.

" Shit." Wicked gave up and carried her bridal style again.

He wore his slippers and opened the door. The other guys are entering the building. Getting ready to retire for the night. Wicked hesitated to take the main stairs so he ended up taking the emergency stairs at the back. His tightened his grip on Y/n as he made his way down the stainless steel stairs.

Once they got down, Wicked heard Carlos's voice. He quickly hid in the shadows.

"Maldito idiota. Você me deve vinte dólares." Said Carlos. [Fucking idiot. You owe me twenty dollars.]

Then he heard James laugh.

" Fuck off Oliveira. I don't speak your language."

Wicked hurried up before Carlos gets back. Y/n's apartment is just a couple blocks away. He made sure to avoid the lampposts and busy streets. He passed by a couple of armored trucks and some BSAA soldiers unloading some goods.

Wicked looked at Y/n and smiled a little.

"Fucking finally." He said as he stopped on Y/n's doorstep. "But fuck, if I bring you up there Carlos will catch me."

To his left, he spotted a makeshift swing so he placed Y/n there and stared at her fragile state.

"Goodnight." He said and he left unnoticed.

--

" Y/n?" Carlos dropped his bags on the ground and ran to Y/n's side.

He lightly tapped her cheek.

" Geez, you're cold. Good thing it's not raining right now. Wake up, supercop." He said.

Y/n's eyes fluttered open and blinked several times.

"Huh? Where am I?" Y/n asked. Utterly confused.

Carlos chuckled. "I just saw you're sleeping out here in the dark."

Carlos stood up to gather his things and lend his hand to her. Y/n proudly took it and they went inside together.

"I'll cook us dinner." Carlos cooed as he removed his gear.

Y/n lazily nodded and followed him to the kitchen. She sat on one of the bar stools and rested her head on the counter. She watched as Carlos brought out a plastic bag from one of the iceboxes near the fridge. He opened the plastic and unveiled a variety of freshly cut fishes.

"Holy smokes. Where'd you get that?" Y/n's drowsiness faded in a blink of an eye.

Carlos chuckled. "Ferry station in old Waffenranch. Wanna have soup for tonight?"

Y/n bobbed her head like a little kid and stood up. She walked past him and into the cupboards to grab some utensils when Carlos got a whiff of perfume. Despite the height difference, it was no doubt he picked up the scent from Y/n and not himself.

Carlos sniffed again and frowned. He thought it familiar. Like déjà vu.

"Can I help? What are the ingredients?" Y/n excitedly asked.

Carlos purses his lips and just stared at her. Only then he noticed her clothes are messy, her face has random scratches and her shoulders are slumped.

"What will it take for you to just stay put in this building?" He questions her.

Y/n was taken aback. She leaned against the counter and stared at the windows. Watching random citizens and soldiers passing by and about. Carlos impatiently sighed and turned his back to her and proceeded to prepare the food.

"I told you already," he takes a knife and chopping board, " I'll work for the both of us and you stay here so you're safe and sou–"

"It's not safe for me here." Y/n protested.

Carlos began to mince some garlic.

" It's not safe for me because I'm the danger. You have no idea how scared I was when Jia almost got kidnapped!"

Y/n stood beside him and leaned in to see his face.

" No matter what I do, they just keep coming and coming. Do you hear me? If I let my guard down even a second who knows what's gonna come crawling through the windows!"

Carlos grabbed a mixing bowl from the cupboards and placed some fish inside. He coated it with garlic and lime juice. He then sprinkled it all over with salt and pepper.

"Then what happened while I was gone?" He finally asked after a couple of minutes ignoring her.

Y/n glared at him. "Why don't you look at me when I'm talking to you?"

Carlos accidentally slammed his wrists on the marble top, almost knocking over the condiments. He clenched his jaw and looked at the small human beside him.

"Remember those guys who chased me and Jia back at good ol' Waffenranch? One of the guys recently killed a citizen Carlos. He's one of those people who are obsessed with Bioweapons and stuff. They do these things for a living." Y/n closed her eyes and took deep breaths.

"We were tracking that guy and eventually, we caught him."

Carlos bit his lower lip." Was he interrogated?"

Y/n shook her head. "I killed him."

Carlos turned to the stove and placed a pan on the right burner. He washed the knife and used it to slice onions next then bell pepper, tomatoes and onion greens.

Y/n watched as he effortlessly transfered the veggies and added olive oil into the large covered pan and turned the stove onto medium heat. He grabbed a spatula and began stirring.

"Did the guys rescue you?" He asked. Not taking his eyes off the pan.

Y/n nodded. "I passed out y'know?"

Carlos hummed in response as he added the fish into the mix plus coconut milk and many other seasonings. He then closed the pan with a glass lid and leaned his back against the counter. He crossed his arms above his chest and sighed heavily.

Y/n glared at him. "Are you mad at me?"

Carlos didn't bat an eye at her until footsteps sounded from the stairwell.

"That smells yummy!" Jia's voice boomed in the entire apartment.

"We'll talk later." Carlos whispered as he passed by Y/n.

****