Chapter 29: Square One

AUTHOR

Y/n and the others arrived at the safe zone. Fairy lights hung on tree branches and embers cascaded in the air as the bonfire grew stronger with every spark of wood. "Mother Amelia!!" Jia dashed towards a lady with black knee length dress and modest hairstyle. They hugged like there's no tomorrow.

Ada laughed as they strode futher into the camp.  "Are you okay?" Y/n nudged the older female's arm.

"Chris would be very happy to see me." She said sarcastically.

"Did something happen between you two?"

"Don't get the wrong idea. He just used to chase me around–"

" Chase your clone around?"

" Can you stop reading my mind like–? You're like your brother."

Y/n flipped her hair and grinned. " I can't help it." Ada stiffened and was dead in her tracks. Amongst the tents, Chris just entered with Dr. Park following behind. It appears to be the largest tent next to the makeshift infirmary. Her shoulders relaxed once he's out of our sight. "I need a drink."

Now with Jia attached to Mother Amelia and Ada blending with the crowd, Y/n decided to go back to her car to retire for the night. As her footsteps crunched against the damp soil, a presence radiated from a distance. She ran up the hill where a lone ranger of a tent is placed and there's light coming out of it. The light illuminated two shadows talking inside. The zipper of the tent slid down and Lilith came out with Tamara.

"Y/n!" The redhead immediately wrapped her arms around Y/n and the latter reciprocated.

"I'll leave you two, okay? Hey girl, welcome back." Tamara shook hands with Y/n and left.

A slap landed on Y/n's arm. "Where the hell were you?!"

"Out and about?"

Lilith glared at her. " You're lying."

"Ok you want details? Weeks ago when I came to fetch Jia from school, she was kidnapped by a van. But thanks to my abilities I got her out of that stupid vehicle and then we met a Chinese girl that knows my brother very well and we ran away with my car 'cause she said the city's not safe."

Lilith leaned forward and widened her eyes as if to intimidate her best friend and check if she's telling the truth. "Where's this Asian girl you're talking about?"

Y/n pointed with her lips somewhere on the long table. Lilith turned her head in a snap and saw a certain individual that stands out amongst the rest. Donned in a red traditional Chinese dress with a harness around her waist. Her shades are still intact even in the dark. "Peculiar..." Lilith muttered.

"Ehem..."

Startled, the two girls looked to the right at the same time. A figure approached with his hands clasped behind his back and his soft curls dangling above his eyebrows. Despite the darkness, Y/n saw a quick tint of red cross Lilith's cheeks and disappeared. I'll be damned.

"Y/n can we have a moment, please?" His bandages were no more but Y/n caught a glimps of his calloused fingers. His nails chapped.

"I'll be on my way." Lilith bowed her head slightly before stalking away from the siblings. Y/n watched her brother stare at the back of Lilith's head before fully taking in her presence.

Y/n whistled. "I think the ants are coming to this direction." She faked stepped on the ground and brushed off imaginary dust off her arms.

But the latter didn't budge.