♥ Chapter 35 ♥

Avdol and Nori were admitted into hospital to be treated for their injuries, however it was safe to say that Nori would be staying in longer for his wounds to be treated.

Jotaro, Polnareff, Joseph and Iggy went into the next town over to get some supplies and said I could stay with Nori until they came back.

I sat at the redhead's bedside and watched the heart monitor. The only sound in the room was the faint beeping of Nori's heart monitor which gave me the reassurance that he was still alive.

I took his hand in mine and rubbed my thumb in circles on the back of his hand as I looked at him. He looked so vulnerable in this state. He had bandages wrapped around his hand and covered his eyes, and he wore his blue and white striped pajamas.

"I'm sorry, Nori. I wasn't able to save you, and it's all my fault that you've ended up here," I whispered softly as a tear ran down my cheek. "I know Jotaro says that it's not my fault, but I can't help but think it is. I promised that I would look out for you no matter what, and now look what's happened. You're stuck here while we have to continue the journey without you." I brought his hand up to my lips and planted a gentle kiss on his knuckles.

Eventually, I fell asleep with my head resting on the side of Nori's bed and still held his hand.

I was woken up when I felt someone stroking my hand.

"Hiroko? Is that you?" Nori asked which made my eyes snap open.

"Nori! Thank God you're awake! How're you feeling?" I asked as I looked up at him.

"My eyes hurt a little, but I'm feeling so much better knowing that you're still here – even if I can't see you."

"I haven't left your bedside since I was allowed in here to see you." I sighed softly.

"Is Jotaro with you?" He asked as he sat up slowly.

I stood up and helped him get comfortable by re-positioning the pillows behind his back. "No. He's gone to the next town other with Mr. Joestar, Polnareff and Iggy to fetch some supplies," I explained as I sat back down in the chair beside his bed.

"You could have gone with them, you know."

"I know. They did ask if I wanted to, but I just wanted to stay here with you." I took his hand in mine once more. "To be honest, I don't really want to carry on with this journey if you're not coming with us."

"You need to go with them. The need yours and Scarlet Phantom's support," he said as his hand tightened around mine.

"I can't, Nori. Not if you're not there." A tear rolled down my cheek and onto the back of his hand.

"Are you crying?" He asked in a softened tone.

"Of course I'm crying, you idiot. I thought I had lost you!" I sobbed.

Nori shuffled on the bed slightly and pulled me onto the bed beside him. "You won't ever lose me, so don't you ever think that. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; there is nothing that will make you lose me. I promise you that as soon as I'm able to, I will catch up with you guys, but you need to carry on without me. It'll only be for a little while, I promise. I know Jotaro will look out for you, and you know that as well. I trust him on that." He smiled softly as he pulled me closer to him. "Anyway, I've got something to tell you that might cheer you up."

"What is it?" I glanced up at him.

"Do you remember when I said to you about liking Jotaro and how he wouldn't like me back?"

"Yeah?" I raised an eyebrow before my eyes widened in realization. "Wait! Don't tell me..."

"He likes me back." He smiled.