Chihiro Shiranami - Cry Cry Cry

"A...Ayanokouji...?" Shiranami stammered out in pure disbelief.

"Y-you two know each other..." Ichinose's face contorted into one of horror. She had just realized how big of a blunder she had made.

Had I been someone else, perhaps it wouldn't be as bad. However, I wasn't a nobody. I was her friend.

Ichinose realized that by trying to avoid hurting Shiranami's feelings, she may have just destroyed mine and Shiranami's friendship. Her mind was racing, trying to come up with a way to fix the situation.

"I-is... A-ayanokouji your... b-bo-"

"I'm just a friend." I quickly interjected. I turn to the stunned Ichinose, and gave her a few words about something I didn't understand. Love.

I walked away from the scene, leaving the two girls behind. Knowing that only one of them would come out unscathed.

I contemplate staying nearby for a while, but ultimately decided against it. As I walk back to the dorms, I stare up at the sky. It's a beautiful sunset.

-----

"I-I know this might be a bit surprising... but from the moment I first saw you in school, I have had a crush on you. The way you treat everyone so nicely, the way you were able to rally an entire class effortlessly... it was a breathtaking sight. I know you've probably received hundreds of confessions in the past... and turned them down." That assumption was wrong. Ichinose has never received a confession before, but she chose to stay quiet and let Shiranami speak.

"Honestly... I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't turn me down as well. I'm not talented, I'm not cute, I don't stand out at all. Even still, I would hate myself if I didn't tell you how I felt." The girl gathered up all of her confidence, in order to pour her heart out just this once.

"...There's nothing that would make me happier than... just being able to walk around holding hands with you, knowing that you're mine, and I'm yours. I don't know if I can make you happy... I don't even understand what would make you happy." Shiranami finally looks up, staring directly at Ichinose's eyes.

"There's so much I don't know about you. But... the things I do know... They're enough to make me want you... More than... anything I've ever wanted before..." Shiranami bites her lip.

"If... you'd consider accepting me... It would make me the happiest girl in the whole world."

A second passes.

Five seconds pass.

Then ten seconds.

Then thirty seconds.

Then one minute.

Her silence already answered her question. Unconsciously, tears started to form in Shiranami's eyes.

"...The sunset is beautiful..." She mumbles towards the speechless Ichinose.

"Thanks for coming here, even though I probably just ruined everything. I told myself I wouldn't cry...but I guess I broke that promise, huh...haha...hahahaha..." Shiranami's self deprecating laughter eventually fades away, and the girls are silent once again. Crack.

Sometimes, you pour your heart out so much that it leaves the other person utterly speechless.

"I... have no idea what to say. I thought...we were just friends...Before your letter, I didn't know you felt that way..." Ichinose starts, but is quickly cut off.

"I know. You don't have to remember either. Please forget that I said anything. I changed my mind and want to continue being friends. I don't want you to avoid me because I did something stupid."

"W-wait! Nothing's gonna change! It's surprising, sure, but...I just...I don't know..." Ichinose trips over her own words. Crack.

"Haha, I don't blame you. I said something stupid...Something so so stupid..." Despite the pain she was feeling, Shiranami forces a smile onto her face.

"I'm going to go back to the dorms...Just... Nevermind...I'll see you tomorrow. I'm sorry again. Bye."

"..." Ichinose could do nothing but stare at the retreating form of Shiranami as she runs back towards the dorms. Her attempt at not hurting Shiranami had resulted in an utter failure.

Honami Ichinose and Chihiro Shiranami's bond has been broken.

-----

There is nothing more painful to watch than a girl with a broken heart. This girl is experiencing that pain for the first time.

It's such a shame.

The strength it took to confess her feelings to the girl she truly loves was destroyed before it even had the chance to bloom, and now she's been reduced to a bawling mess on my bed as I stroke her hair.

"Ayanokouji..." The girl mumbles my name in between her sorrows.

"It's okay. Cry all you want."

That's right. Cry all you want. Because that's the only thing our bodies know how to do.

Cry. Cry. Cry.

Cry until your eyes turn red and irritated. Drown out your thoughts with your screams of anguish. Let all of it distract you from your cracking heart.

And build yourself back up, so breaking one more time won't kill you.

-----

"Hey...have any of you seen Chihiro? She's not in her room." Ichinose asks her classmates in the hall of the girl's dorm.

"Huh, Chihiro? No, can't say I have. Have you seen her Minamikata?" Minamikata shakes her head.

"Guess not. Why, did something happen? Do you need us to go look for her?" Andou asks.

"...No, it's fine. I was just wondering where she was, that's all." Liar. She conveniently left out the reason why she was looking for the girl who's heart she just destroyed.

-----

"Nothing... will ever hurt this bad... right?" I gently rub Shiranami's head as she gasps for air.

"There are plenty of things that will hurt just as bad. However I'll be here to rub your head every time."

"It hurts so much... What did I... do wrong...?"

"Nothing. That's just how it is sometimes." Yes, the world is a cruel place. Sometimes, things are just meant to break. Wouldn't you agree?

"You should try to get some sleep. We need to wake up early tomorrow." I say to her.

"I... don't know if I can... You can sleep if you want... I... won't leave... I promise..."

"...Okay. I'll see you in the morning."

I lay my head back on my pillow as Shiranami snuggles closer to me. I didn't mind, asking her to move away and sleep on the couch is too cruel even for me.

Eventually her sobbing turns into sniffling. Then it turns into nothing at all. Shiranami falls asleep before I do.

In the end, I fall asleep as well.