Kayano Onodera - Sound

Somehow I find myself yet again in the pool section of the campus very early in the morning. Those early risers are still hogging my training spots. Selfish bastards...

"Hey, Ayanokoji! Over here!" I hear an overly enthusiastic voice yell. Looking over, I see an athletic tomboy in the middle of doing her streching routines.

"Morning! Are you trying to train again today?" Onodera asks once I approach her.

"I was. For a second I thought I could finish my training here before you arrived, but it seems you come here significantly earlier than I expected."

"No one beats me to the pool! I'm here early every morning no matter if its sunny, rainy, or snowy!" She sticks her tongue out at me victoriously.

"Do you mind if I ask why you always come here alone? Shouldn't you and your club members be coming here together?" I question her.

"Hm? I guess so. I just didn't really tell anyone I came early today. Usually I come here half an hour later than this."

"...I thought you said you come here early every morning."

"That was just me trying to sound cool! You're not supposed to call me out on it! Anyway, have you thought about my offer of joining the swimming club?" She gives me an expectant look.

"...I still need to give it some thought. I already told you I'm no good at swimming."

"That's a complete lie, but even if it was the truth it wouldn't work! The swimming club is supposed to teach you how to swim! I already told you you're plently athletic, all that's left is to get the technique down!"

"I'm just not sure if I want to make that commitment." Tiresome things, I don't like.

"I haven't made any commitment either! You can just come for fun, there's nothing wrong with that!"

"...You don't commit yourself to swimming? I was under the impression you wanted to become a professional swimmer on the olympic team." Anyone would honestly considering how much time Onodera spends in the pool. Its also clear she has talent as well as the dedication to go very far if she wanted.

"I mean don't get me wrong, that's like a lifelong dream of mine. But only one or two people succeed in becoming a professional swimmer. The chances of me being one of them is extremely low, so I'm not sure if fully commiting myself to it is the correct thing to do." A slightly sad look crosses over her face. Throwing away a passion in exchange for a more guaranteed career is something a lot of people go through.

"Besides, I always hear people complaing to me about having a backup plan in case I break my leg or it gets bitten off by a shark! Like seriously, there aren't any sharks in a pool, how would they even get there am I right!?" She gestures wildly in what I assume is frustration.

"I think you're missing the whole point..."

"Ah I'm just pulling your leg! I know what they mean. Whatever happens to me after high school, I'm sure it'll be fine. I might not be able to make the olympic team, but as long as I can find something that makes me happy, that's all that matters right?" She beams.

I can't answer this question. I don't have the freedom to choose something that makes me happy. So I simply choose to stay silent.

"Ooh! There comes the other girls! Heeeeey! Over here!" She calls them over.

"And that is my cue to leave. I will see you la-... Are all of them from the swimming club? I'm sure there weren't this many when I came here the last time..." There has been a significant increase in the amount of girls coming to the pool.