Volleyball Time - Part III

"Hmm..." After stopping at a nearby vendung machine on the way back to the pool, I seem to have encountered an interesting specimen.

"...Zzz..." How in the world is this girl able to sleep standing up?

"Shinobu! That's where you were!" Ryoko runs towards us. "Oh, you're back! I thought you were calling it a day when you left the pool."

"No, I was just helping a friend with something. I'll be around until sunset."

"Cool! I see you've met Shinobu again. Did you guys have a good talk?" She asks.

"I haven't actually talked to her before. The two times I met her, she has been fast asleep." I point out.

"Ah, yeah. That's kinda her thing. Don't worry though, I know a foolproof method to get her to talk!" Ryoko walks in front of the sleeping girl.

She raises her hands and... CLAP!

"Wake up!" She yells.

"...?" Fukuyama opens her eyes. "Oh, Ryoko! What a pleasant surprise." She smiles at her. I guess she's not mad for being woken up?

The sleepy girl looks over at me. "And who's this?"

"Hey, Shinobu! I wanted to introduce you to my bestie! This is Kiyotaka Ayanokouji from Class D!"

"Ayanokouji is it? A pleasure to meet you, I'm Shinobu Fukuyama." A hand pops out from under the blanket wrapped around her.

"The pleasure is mine, Fukuyama." I reply as I shake her hand. "I saw you playing volleyball a few hours ago. You were amazing."

"Aw, thanks for the compliment. I worked very hard to... to..." Her eyelids droop.

"..."

"...Zzz..." Really?

"Like I said, she does this a lot. Don't take it personally, she's just chronically sleepy. It's a character trait." Ryoko says.

That doesn't sound like a character trait, that sounds like narcolepsy. Which is a serious issue...

"Oh! I know, why don't you try waking her up this time?" Ryoko offers.

"I don't think she would appreciate that..."

"Oh nonsense! Come on, just clap and tell her to wake up!" She pushes me forward.

"..."

"...Zzz..."

...Clap. It wasn't a very loud clap, but it is a clap. "Wake up." I mutter.

"...?" Fukuyama actually opens her eyes. "...Oh, Ayanokouji! What a pleasant surprise." She closes her eyes and smiles.

"See? As long as you wake her up like that, she won't get mad! Just don't try waking her up in a different way, then she will. I learnt that the hard way." Ryoko says.

"Duly noted..."

"Ryoko, do you know what I came here for? I don't remember..." Fukuyama asks.

"I think you came here to buy a drink from the vending machine. Then you were gonna go back to the court to referee a few volleyball matches."

"Ah, that's right! I need to go back then. It was nice talking with you Ayanokouji. I'll see you la..."

"..."

"...Zzz..." Well, that's going to be an issue.

"Don't worry about her, I'll make sure she gets back safe." Ryoko comments as she buys two drinks from the vending machine. "Not like she really needs my protection, she's like the freaking daredevil man, I'm telling you."