Ruri Ichihashi - Dreamless Sleep

Mori puts on some pants before we head over to Ruri's room.

As we turn a corner, I spot Onodera leaning against one of the walls while holding her phone. I guess she was the one who was contacting Mori. As soon as she spots us approaching she jogs over.

"Thank god you're here. Ruri is going through another manic phase and I don't know what to do." She says.

"Don't worry, Kayano. Me and Ayanokouji will take care of it. You should get back to our room, it's probably gonna get...loud." Mori assures her. Onodera nods, before wishing us luck and heading back. With that, Mori puts her hand on the door handle before facing me.

"Okay...so this is probably going to look very bad."

"Don't worry, I've seen her like this before."

"I figured. Still doesn't make it any easier though does it?"

"I suppose not."

"So, I probably don't need to tell you this but...we should probably tread lightly. I'm opening the door now, brace for impact." With a deep breath, Mori opens the door and-

"FUCK! NO! EVERYTHING IS WRONG! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!"

My ears are immediately assaulted by the loud screaming of a high school girl. I really hope Onodera managed to get far enough away...

I briefly scan the room, realizing that almost a third of it is covered in marker ink, and several opened markers are sprawled over the ground like a minefield. Ruri is furiously scribbling on the wall opposite the door with one of the markers, her hands dirty with ink. Cautiously, I approach the girl.

"Hey, Ruri."

"AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!" She turns to me, and I can see that same crazed look in her eyes that she had during the island exam. She rears her arm back.

"Please don't throw anything at me. Or at anyone for that matter." Ruri slowly lowers her arm. Upon closer inspection, her head and hands are shaking rather violently. Her skin is also an even paler shade of white than normal.

"Why the fuck are you here? Can't you see I'm working!? Can't you see!?"

"Yes...I can see that you've been...busy." I look around at the mess. There are several sentences written all over the walls and the floor in unreadable writing. The few sentences that I can read are completely nonsensical. Other than the writing, there are several scribbles around, along with a drawing of various toys and what looks like IVs that you would find in a hospital, surrounding a bed.

"I had that same dream!" Ruri mumbles to herself while biting her nails.

"Dream? What dream?"

"Needles, needles, needles! Needles everywhere! Pins and needles under my skin! Bright lights, bright lights, bright lights. The same ones that burned my eyes! Day in and day out! That goddamn liquid! The sound of it dripping, entering my skin through a tube! I can still feel it in my goddamn wrists! I can't see them, but I can feel them!" She scratches at her wrist, leaving red lines against her white skin.

"Drip! Drip! DRIP! IT'S MADDENING! Why can't I forget!? Why must these memories stick with me forever!? I need to learn more! More, more, MORE! Make more memories! Overload my brain until it can't fit any more! Until those old memories preceding me gets overriden! Get rid of it, get rid of it, get rid of it, get rid of it all! Rip out all the needles! Rip it out, rip it out, rip it out! Only then will I find salvation!"

"...This seems to be a lot worse than before..." Mori mumbles.

"Yes, it seems to be that way...Hey, Mori. Could you do me a favor and get some milk, cinnamon, and honey? And if you can, some dried lavender."