Kokoro Inogashira - Edge of the Universe

"May I have a word with you?" Taking a break from moving the tent yet again, Ibuki called me.

"The discussion about underwear theft this morning looked very serious. Whatever the reason, as a woman stealing a girl's underwear is unforgivable." She said. Well, I agree. But why is she telling me this?

"...Are you doubting me?" I question. She definitely saw how Karuizawa and Shinohara antagonized me this morning, perhaps she was of the same opinion.

"Are you the culprit?"

"No, that's not the case."

"Then that's that. It looks like some of the girls trust you, and that boy Hirata seems to believe you too. Due to that I think the chances of you being the culprit is rather low." She made the conclusion after hearing the argument between Karuizawa and Horikita. "Do you have an idea on who the culprit is?"

"Right now, no. I don't want to doubt any of my classmates." I reply.

"So, who do you think is the culprit?" Her inquiry was like she was testing me. I glanced at her, but she was simply waiting for my response without looking at me.

"If you don't want to suspect your classmates, then the only person you would be suspicious of is me, a stranger. There are a lot of people that are doubting me, after all I could be pretending, right?" She said so in self-mockery, fully aware that she was a prime suspect.

"I wonder if you trust me. I don't think you're the culprit." I answered without hesitation. She looked at me in surprise, trying to make sure my words were sincere. When my eyes met hers, she looked away.

"...Thank you. I didn't think you'd be so kind..."

"It's just an honest answer." The reason I could answer so easily was because I already knew.

I knew that the culprit who stole the underwear was Ibuki.

-----

As the island exam was close to ending, we decided to try and save points by fishing instead of buying food with points. We split into groups and I ended up with Mori, Kokoro, Horikita, and surprisingly Kushida. Looking at Horikita, I could tell she wasn't in great physical condition. Immediately Kushida approached Horikita, probably trying to befriend her again. Of course, Horikita only responded in annoyed remarks.

"How did you get left behind? Where is your usual group of friends?" Come to think of it, I can't see any of Kushida's usual group.

"Ah, yes. Well..." Kushida whispered in Horikita's ear, as if she didn't want anyone else to hear what she says. Unfortunately I was standing close to them, and my hearing was above average.

"The truth is... today is Mii-chan's time of the month, so my friends are taking care of her. You look pretty sluggish as well so I thought-"

Okay, I did not need to know that information. I feel like I'm breaching Mii-chan's privacy just by hearing that. I offer her a silent apology in my head while walking away so I couldn't hear Kushida's whispering anymore.

"Ibuki, why don't you come with us too?" I call over Ibuki who was resting under a tree. "Today is the last day of the exam. You don't have to come if you don't want to."

"...No, I have a debt of gratitude with Class D. I'll help." Ibuki swung her bag over her shoulder before joining our group. With that, we set off upstream in order to find a good place to fish.

Kokoro and Mori were in front of the group chatting with each other, I was walking a few steps behind them, Horikita was still being pestered by Kushida beside me, and Ibuki was at the rear of the group alone. Eventually, Mori excused herself and slowed her pace so she could talk with Ibuki. Deciding to use this opportunity, I quickened my pace so I could walk next to Kokoro.