Chapter 9

Rolling out my shoulder I walk with Koa to the courtyard covered with a natural canopy of tree branches protecting it mostly from the elements

Rolling out my shoulder I walk with Koa to the courtyard covered with a natural canopy of tree branches protecting it mostly from the elements. The snow that has fallen through has been pushed to the edges Captain Ophir is waiting in the center of the clearing the sun just starting to peek between the branches "So the prince is rather handsome." I shrug slightly fighting a rising blush "I suppose."  "Early as always." we both grin "Yes sir." The rest of the guards trickle in all of us taking up a relaxed stance in lines of eight Captain Ophir standing at the front "1'st positions." We all draw our swords as he calls out each movement everyone moving in perfect sync. 

The sun has well risen by the time we finish and their is a thin sheen of sweat on my face and arms as I relax and sheath my sword "Want to spar before we finish?" I grin turning to Koa "You really want to taste dirt again so soon?" he chuckles "Don't get cocky princess." we move to the training ring dropping our swords on the edge "Ready?" I grin both of us getting into defensive position "Always." 

We throw blows back and forth ducking and twirling in a sort of dance both trying to gain the upper hand. Eventually I manage to hook a foot behind his ankle bringing him crashing down to the ground "I felt sure I would win that time." I laugh helping him up "Just keep practacing." 

"You did not lie about your skills." I swivel feeling my ears heat up "Thranduil." he smiles bowing his head slightly "Mind if I join you?" Koa grins pushing me foreward "Not at all Prince." I smile batting his hand away "Would you like to spar princess?" I take a step back into the ring "I would love too." he puts his sword belt down by mine while Koa steps out the ring joining three other guards watching from the side lines "I warn you prince she's the best out of us." I roll my eyes at Koa while Thranduil grins "I'm sure I can cope."

Koa grins "Ready?" we both nod locking eyes "Begin." we circle around twice before Thranduil makes the first move aiming for my stomach. I twist away aiming a kick at his knee which he avoids. After five minutes neither of us have made any progress and it appears we are evenly matched before I manage to get past his defences by feighning right and punching low. He grunts falling to one knee while I spin around knocking him onto his back. I glance at Koa seeing him passing coins back and forth with the other guards before turning to Thranduil offering him a hand "Are you alright?" he grins "Excellent thank you, you are a skilled solider. I came to tell you there is a meeting at noon." 

I pick up my sword "Thank you for the work out prince." he grins bowing "Princess." The two of us walk side by side into the palace stopping outside the doors to my room "I will see you in the throne room shortly." I push open my door smiling "Thranduil." I shut the door and head into the bathing chamber finding Meriel already filling the tub "I will leave you to bathe." I smile kicking of my boots "Thank you Meriel."