Chapter 12

Thranduil and his father return home the next day and we resume our normal pattern of letters keeping each other up to date on training, life at home and I start inculding updates on Kaito along with some sketches as he starts to grow. Tuyet falcons are strange birds aging extremely slowly and growing to great sizes. There feather change colour with the seasons allowing them to blend in with the trees and rocks. They have large claws and razor sharp beaks that could do a lot of damage but Kaito although a visious hunter adapts well to living on my balcony flying to get his own meals and returning when he is fed. 

He takes to sitting on my shoulder while I go about my duties so I have a leather brace made that slots over my shoulder and upper arm allowing him to dig his claws in without putting holes in my clothes. Captain Ophir once Kaito is big enough starts including him in training exercises meaning I can train him for scouting and recognising friend from foe as well as responding to certain command words and whistles. 

Dear Y/N,
I am so glad to hear that Kaito is alright and responding well to being hand reared rather than in the wild. I have been pulled away from my normal training by my father who is worrying about what should happen if this darkness keeps growing. The weather is becoming warmer and I wish I could spend more time outside with the guards but my father is beginning to fear for everyones safety although nothing has yet happened. I hope he relaxes soon it is starting to put everyone else on edge as well. I hope you are alright
Love,
Thranduil

Dear Y/N,
Things seem to only be getting worse and the whole kingdom is awash with rumours about the armys growing in the East. A great many dark things are appearing. I'm glad for your letters as they offer a respite to all the negative things going on around. I hope you and Kaito are well.
Love,
Thranduil

Dear Y/N
Congratulations on making captain you must be very proud I know I certainly am. I fear war is coming but for now I will relish in the peace of our kingdom for however long it may last. I hope you are well and not struggling with your new duties and thank you for the drawings of Kaito and the young otters they were lovely.
Love,
Thranduil

Dear Y/N
I fear this will be my last lettter for a while. War is approaching fast and my father is readying the soldiers to leave as soon as possible. We march tomorrow. I pray you stay safe and out of harms way though I know you will be fighting along side your soldiers. Who knows we may see each other again soon although not in the comfort of either of our homes. Good luck I fear we will all need it.
Love,
Thranduil