Chapter 34

"Good evening," Julia said.

Roger immediately walked to her.

"Good evening, Julia.  Welcome.  We were singing happy birthday to Grace, you arrived just in time," Roger said greeting Jul with a handshake, he also greeted the man with Julia.

"Roger, this is Paolo," Jul said.

"Welcome, Paolo, nice to meet you," Roger said polite.

"Nice to meet you, sir," Paolo said smiling friendly.

"You can call me Roger.  Please, come in and join us," Roger said.  They followed him and joined the group, they began all to sing again.  Grace smiled looking at her Julia, who looked spectacular, as always.  Grace felt so proud of Julia.

Grace blew the candles and everyone around applauded with enthusiasm.  Roger gave her a special knife decorated with a pink bow and Grace cutted a piece of cake.  It was a chocolate cake, and it was decorated with cute little bears because Grace liked bears a lot.

Then Grace passed the knife to her aunt who began to cut the cake and she gave to everyone around a piece of cake.  Grace went to sit down to eat her piece of cake.  It was delicious.  She licked the little bear figure she had in her hand, it had frosting on it.

Grace was looking at the little bear when Julia and Paolo approached to her.

"Happy birthday, Grace," Jul said, she gave Grace a quick kiss on her cheek.

"Happy birthday, sweety," Paolo said kissing Grace too.  "You look adorable today."

"Thank you.  And thank you for coming today to my birthday party, please, enjoy it," Grace said smiling.

"We bring you some gifts, they are in the car.  Paolo, would you be so kind and...?" Jul began to say.

"Sure, I'll go for the gifts...  I'll be right back in a minute," Paolo said.

"Thanks, Paolo," Jul said smiling, winking at him.  She stayed with Grace who kept eating her cake.

Roger approached them.

"Julia, please, come a minute, I would like you to meet my family.  My parents are here, my sister, my niece..." Roger said.

"Sure," Jul said polite.  "Excuse me, Grace, I'll be back in a minute."

"No problem," Grace said tasting another piece of cake, she felt nervous, but she was doing her best to hide her emotions.  Eating helped her, she hoped that she didn't get fat.

"Don't eat so much, sweety, or you'll have a terrible stomach ache later," Abby said to Grace.

"I can't help it...  I'm nervous so I ate..." Grace said.  "It helps me to relax."

"I know.  But I think it's a bad idea.  Do you know the man who is with your future stepmother?"

"Don't call her that.  And yes, I know him, he is her friend... an old friend, I think they met on college...  But for everyone else here he is her date, something like her boyfriend.  So please don't say anything about it to anyone...  It's just a plan to get rid of my father..." Grace whispered to Abby.

"Oh, I see...  So he still doesn't know anything about you two?" Abby asked.

"Of course not, that's a secret, our secret...  It's complicated."

"Yeah, I bet..." Abby giggled.

"Well, we can't tell him the truth, at least, not now...  As I said, it's complicated..." Grace said drinking some punch.