Chapter 4

Julia took a short route to the Greek restaurant because she only had an hour for lunch and the restaurant wasn't so close to the clinic where she worked.  She wished that she could spend more time with Grace than just an hour, but she wasn't going to complain, she felt happy to at least have the chance to eat lunch with her and chat a little, and that was a progress of course.  Grace didn't know this route.  She seemed a bit nervous, she didn't know where they were going, and of course she didn't know Julia very well.  Where was she taking her?  Julia noticed that Grace seemed a bit anxious.

"We are almost there, don't worry.  Would you like to hear some music?"

Grace looked at her a bit embarrassed nodding her head, Julia had noticed that she felt a bit anxious, she wasn't very good at hiding her emotions.  What would Julia think about her?  She was behaving like a scared little girl and she wasn't one.  What would she be afraid?  She was starting to act paranoic.  There was nothing to be afraid of and she knew she was safe with Julia, nothing bad could happen, so why be so anxious?

Julia turned on the radio and searched for a classical music station while Grace took a quick look around the car.  The car was clean, it had a soft mint scent which was very nice and pleasant, Grace liked it, and everything was in its place; in the back seat Grace saw some magazines about health and medicine, and Julia's doctor gown.  There was a little cross hanging from the rear view mirror, this made Grace think that maybe Julia was a religious person, which just made Grace admire and respect Julia even more.  But that could be something cultural too of course, which was also fine with Grace, Grace wasn't a religious person, but she had always respected other people beliefs of course; Grace knew that many people used to hang things like that in their cars and that not necessarily meant something for them, maybe Julia was like that too, which was also fine with Grace.  But just watching it hanging there made Grace realized how special Julia was, she wasn't just a mysterious woman, but one very sweet, tender and nice, with a kind heart, and that wasn't so easy to find these days.  And Grace loved all those good qualities in a person.

Julia noticed that Grace was staring at her cross, nothing about Grace escaped to her eye, she was watching Grace very discreetly.

"It belonged to my grandmother, my mom's mother, it was a gift from her, she gave it to me when I was twelve.  We have always been very close and we get along very well.  Maybe you'll meet her some day, my grandmother means a lot to me, she is a very special woman, I love her," Julia said smiling with fondness.  "When I was twelve years old, I got very sick suddenly and my grandmother took care of me, she prayed a lot for me those days, she was so worried, I still remember that, that's when she gave me her cross, it was something very sweet of her, I know this cross meant a lot to her, that's why she gave it to me because she loves me so much, she wanted me to have something from her that was very special, and that was her cross, it belonged to her mother, and it's been in my family for many years, you could say it's very old.  And you know what?  I got better from my illness in just a few weeks.  It's a nice memory of my childhood."

Grace smiled and nodded, she liked that Julia shared that precious memory of her childhood with her.  Grace wasn't like that, it usually took time to her to open her heart to someone new.  But if they really wanted to know each other better she knew that she had to cooperate too.

"I see.  It's a very sweet story, and I really liked it, thanks for telling me, you didn't have to, I know it's something very personal..."

"It's okay.  I have nothing to hide anyway.  We have arrived," Julia said pointing with her head to the restaurant.  Grace looked at the building infront of them.  The name was Paolo's Tavern.  Julia parked her car in the front.  Grace followed her inside the restaurant discreetly checking her out, Julia was wearing tight jeans, a yellow blouse, and high-heeled sandals which made her legs look amazing.  The jeans molded very well her sexy figure, Julia really had a great body, Grace for some odd reason tried to imagine Julia wearing just a tiny red bikini, she blinked and averted her gaze when she heard Julia talking to her.