Chapter 172 | August 25th | The One In Self Denial

Timeline | August 25th | Next Day

"The moment has come," Isis bellowed, her voice echoing through the dilapidated palace on the moon. She had been summoned back from their long absence, a directive that demanded immediate action. The crumbling stronghold, once a symbol of their power, now served as the grim headquarters for the monstrous legions under their command. As she appeared, the monstrous minions rose to their feet, their grotesque forms shifting restlessly.

"Create havoc!" Isis commanded, her voice cutting through the murmurs of the throng. "Destroy everything you see. Create a diversion so immense that it will draw our little rats out from their hiding spots!"

With a fierce wave of her hand, she unleashed her power, a dark, swirling force that invigorated the monsters before her. Their eyes glowed with newfound energy and malice, their anticipation palpable.

Cid appeared at the entrance of the crumbling palace garden, observing the scene with a wicked grin. His eyes gleamed with malevolent satisfaction as he watched the monstrous army stir with eagerness. "Attack every city. Leave no stone unturned!" Isis roared.

The monsters responded with a roar of their own, raising their weapons in a chaotic frenzy. The air crackled with their bloodthirsty enthusiasm, the promise of destruction hanging heavy.

Cid's laughter joined the cacophony, a sinister cackle that echoed ominously. "Kill everything and everyone as you see fit!" he commanded, his voice dripping with malice.

The monstrous horde surged forward, their voices a cacophony of rage and anticipation. Isis gestured with a commanding sweep of her hand, and the minions of evil bowed deeply to their Sorceress and Sorcerer. With a flash of her dark magic, she enveloped the army in an arcane mist, transporting them from the moon back to Isadora.

There, on the desolate and broken land, their armies would lay a trap, drawing the warriors into a vulnerable clearing. The stage was set for the final confrontation that would determine the fate of the world.

As the landscape before them settled into a grim stillness, Cid turned to his wife, folding his arms with a darkly satisfied expression. "Now we wait, my love."

Isis cooed, her voice dripping with dark satisfaction. "The warriors will put up a fight. Expect fierce retaliation from him. You will have to kill the boy. Do you understand that?"

Cid's brows furrowed momentarily, a flicker of uncertainty that Isis noted with displeasure. But before she could press further, he simply nodded. "He is mine to do as I please. Do what you will with the other children."

***** ******

"Anyway," Jesse mused, strolling beside Eko through the ravaged land of the mages, "I'm torn about this coincidence," carefully stepping over a lifeless body as the sunrise struggled to pierce through the heavy fog surrounding them.

"I don't like this—timing, Isis, everything. Especially knowing she was here, on this side of the barrier..." Jesse's voice carried a blend of frustration and concern.

Eko, however, seemed distant, her thoughts drifting back to the early morning hours. Clutching her coffee cup, she had joined Jesse, Richie, Mya, and Jasmine in the grim task of escorting Vause and Teshia, searching for any remaining survivors.

Matthew and Toni had stayed back at Allegiant. They were bombarded with meetings with the board and the elite council, who demanded contingency plans in response to the mages' slaughter. The council was preparing for a war that Matthew had been desperately trying to prevent.

It was also why she couldn't shake the memory of her husband's incessant groans from last night and early that morning. When Matthew had woken her up, his mind plagued with thoughts, their encounter had been intense. There were moments of tender lovemaking, others of raw, unrestrained passion, and then those extraordinary times in between that elevated their intimacy to a whole new level.