chapter five

there was a lot of behind the scenes work I had to do before this weekend, as lando was releasing new merch and now was the time to boost his presence of socials to kick the season off to a good start. the other drivers were working overtime to do the same. today was the first day lando didn't have any specific promotional media work, I would just be taking photos of him throughout the day for his socials

free practise one hadn't gone too well for McLaren with lando placed p16 and daniel following in p17. the drivers were dragged between team members wanting to run through the data, and go through all the checks, as well as jon and Michael wanting to get through their routines. with no media obligations for lando between FP1 and FP2, this was my chance to take a break.

I walked through the paddock, thankful that I made the decision not to wear heels but instead my white adidas sambas. the paddock is swarming with life, the start of the season filled everyone with excitement.

with my eyes set on the Mercedes hospitality, I walked straight into someone. I silently thank myself again for not wearing heels, knowing that my ankles would've given in and sent me to the ground, instead I stumbled backwards. my arm heats to the touch, as the person steadies me. my eyes land on his soft blue ones. once he realises, I've regained my footing his features hardened removing his hand from my arm.

"watch where you're going acester" his tone was harsh. we walked into each other? you obviously didn't see me either... his racesuit was hung around his waist, letting my eyes roam over his fireproofs. I look back up to meet his eyes, but catch them tracing down the black unitard I was wearing.

"im late for lunch" I turn to walk past him, hoping to get away from this situation as soon as possible. he grabbed my arm again, bringing goose bumps to my skin. the battle between my mind and body restarted, one wanting to flee, the other craving his touch.

"McLaren and Alpha Tauri are in the opposite direction" I internally rolled my eyes at his obvious dig about pierre. I feel his eyes linger as I approach Mercedes hospitality. I quickly type a text to lewis letting him know I was here as we planned yesterday, desperate to escape max's eye site. I keep myself distracted scrolling through my phone before I feel my cap being pulled off my head.

"I told you no McLaren kit in here" lewis laughed replacing it with his Mercedes one. I adjusted it laughing as he threw the McLaren cap to the side. he turned to lead the way into Mercedes hospitality but I could still feel someone watching. looking back towards the paddock, my eyes met his again, I gave a small wave and smug smile before following lewis through the doors.

Mercedes hospitality resembled McLaren apart from the obvious change in colour scheme. Lewis led me to a table on the balcony, explaining that he would be back shortly with the food. I turn my attention back to my phone going over the interview requests for the following week, flagging the ones I thought lando might be happy to do and deleting the ones that weren't worth the bother.

"today we have miso tofu bowl and portobello tacos" I knitted my eyebrows as he placed both dishes in front of me. "kate said she'd pack up whatever one you don't eat so you can take it with you"

"are you not eating?" I look between him and the smoothie sat in front of him.

"can't eat between practices" he shrugged picking up his smoothie. "so you and pierre?"

"pierre and I what?"

"Charles told us all what you said at dinner" he laughed as I rolled my eyes.

"Charles has a big mouth and he's stupid" I turn my attention to the plate in front of me, placing a piece of tofu in my mouth.