𝘀𝗵𝗼𝘀𝘂𝗸𝗲 𝗸𝗼𝗺𝗶

【 Qᴜɪᴇᴛ!ꜰ!ʀᴇᴀᴅᴇʀ 】 ❝ 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘳𝘵/𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘥𝘺 ❞▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

【 Qᴜɪᴇᴛ!!ʀᴇᴀᴅᴇʀ 】
 ❝ 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘳𝘵/𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘥𝘺 ❞
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

                         ​   ​​​​​​ To many people's envy, you were Shōsuke's seat neighbor at school. Being the quiet and reserved bookworm you self-titled yourself to be, though, the large attention (whether it was good or bad) overwhelmed you if you paid any mind to it, so you usually used that time during class breaks to resume whatever latest novel you picked up.

If anyone else were to genuinely pay any attention to you for once, they would realize that every day was a new book, for you usually completed your reading either by the end of school or at home. (For whatever reason, you were gifted with fast reading, even for school textbooks which gave you the right to spend your free time reading instead of scrambling to finish assignments.)

You did seem to have agreed with the consensus that Shōsuke was someone to view in admiration (whatever reason that may be), except you cautiously kept interactions with the boy limited and purely cordial. You gave your polite greetings and bidding once you arrived at your seat, and there were a few times when you picked up his eraser if he dropped it, plus the few times you wished him a good weekend, all the while wearing a small smile ― but that was it.

And that is exactly why Shōsuke grew to li― tolerate you. Tolerate. He tolerated you.

Yes, he nodded at you in acknowledgment of your kind acts, and he released small breaths in relief when you'd mind your business in favor of your book instead of literally bowing at his arrival, but who wouldn't when stuck with these weirdos?

He also maybe kind of admits to stealing glances at you during the rare times he didn't have every pair of eyes ogling him. It was how he realized every single day you were reading a new book ― and not just that, but how diverse your reading was, from your run-of-the-mill Japanese fiction to American non-fiction anthologies or even autobiographies.

It was another aspect of yours he grew to appreciate since not everyone was a big reader, forget expanding their pallets into something they're not familiar with.

Perhaps he sometimes prolonged his stares whenever he'd catch your facial muscles change in response to whatever you read. But it was to only make sure you weren't actually doing anything weird behind his back! I mean, one couldn't factually argue you didn't look charming with your smiles at the main character reaching their goals, the little scrunch of your nose when you were trying to figure out a plot twist, or the little proud cute nod you gave yourself once you finished your book...

Again! It was facts! That's just how your face looked ― don't read into everything so much!

This morning is no different regarding your kindness and reading obsession: Today, you picked up an American novel titled Five Feet Apart you already read half of (Shōsuke may or may not have kept a mental list of books you've read to check out himself) with a concentrated look on your face.

A part of him confusingly feels disappointed you look firm, almost sorrowful; but he also confusingly feels relieved when your lips curl into a little smile as your eyes sparkle.

He feels his own lips twitch.

"Hey, hey, (name)-san~!!"

He frowns.

At Hitomi's sudden appearance at your desk, you are taken away from your reading mojo and your cute, intrigued face turns into one of confusion.

"Soooo, (name)-san." Hitomi looks blankly into your eyes. "You gotta crush?"

"!!??" Both you and Shōsuke stiffen in your seats at the out-of-pocket question. You are obviously a lot more bashful and shocked, but Shōsuke can't deny his spiked heart rate, though it suspiciously also feels like nervousness for your answer. Weird...

"U― uhm..." You stare unsurely at Hitomi, sweatdropping. "I― is there any particular reason you are asking, Tadano-san?"

Hitomi beams right in your face, a manifested sparkle almost poking your eyes. "Isn't it normal for girls our age to already have a crush~??"

"I― I suppose..." You give an awkward closed-eye smile. Shōsuke can't help but note you seem to be purposely dodging the question ― not like he actually cares about the answer or anything.

But why haven't you answered?

"Well?"

Hitomi blinks at you.

"Weell?"

She leans in.

"Weeeelllllllllll?"

"!!!"

You sweatdrop at the girl's pushiness. Then again, you should have expected her to not give up until you gave into her eccentric nature which you are probably all too aware of after witnessing all the times she bothered Shōsuke before branching off to other victims.

Eventually, though, you release a large exhale and...

Blush.

!!?? Shōsuke can't help but whip his head in your direction after catching this with his peripheral vision. Of all the times he (watched) glanced at you, he never really saw you become flustered or embarrassed; you just become awkward and uncomfortable when you're put under too much attention.

But this? This is unexpected, alongside the meek averting of your eyes to the side.

Does this mean...you do like someone?

Romantically?

You even nod.

"ASSKJD%#@*&!@(($$$@#" Hitomi goes buck wild. First, she squeals over your "cute" behavior, squishing your pink cheeks together. Then, she bombards you with question after question about who, what, when, where, and why.

Shōsuke, however, is only left further confused; surprised to see his hands in tight, shaking fists over his lap alongside his own inner questioning of who this guy can possibly be, and why that person.

He casually brings one still-in-a-fist hand under his chin he then points toward the window like he isn't bothered by the fact you have a crush on someone ― not to imply he is ― to try ridding these obnoxious feelings swirling inside his stomach.

Of course, this only makes him miss your subtle, timid glances at him through Hitomi's fangirling.