𝗺𝗮𝗸𝗼𝘁𝗼 𝘀𝘂𝗻𝗮𝗸𝗮𝘄𝗮

【 ɪɴꜱᴇᴄᴜʀᴇ!ᴍ!ʀᴇᴀᴅᴇʀ 】❝ 𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘴𝘵 ❞▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

【 ɪɴꜱᴇᴄᴜʀᴇ!!ʀᴇᴀᴅᴇʀ 】
❝ 𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘴𝘵 ❞
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Contact Name:
mako

Are you awake?

▏𝙒𝙧𝙞𝙩𝙚 𝙖 𝙢𝙚𝙨𝙨𝙖𝙜𝙚...▕ ꜱᴇɴᴅ ▏

One simple question that normally would be seen as caring and sweet actually sends (name)'s heart dropping to his stomach. I mean, of course he is awake, but partly because of the very person who is contacting him.

Let's start from the beginning.

Popular young high school student Makoto Sunakawa is notorious for rejecting every love confession he has received from females, going as far back even as elementary school. Nobody, not even his best friend since childhood, conjured a reasonable explanation for why he did this. After all, so many high school boys would kill to be in Makoto's position, yet he never gave any girl a second glance.

It wasn't until finally one day during lunch, when a small group of girlfriends found the courage to try and invite a lone Makoto to eat lunch with them despite being painfully aware of his reputation for dismissing/rejecting girls, everyone received the (very unexpected) answer. The girls just barely approached his seat when Makoto moved beside a quietly blushing (name), placing his head on his shoulder while delicately intertwining their hands.

Yes, quiet and reserved (full name), someone who nobody thought to have even known the otherwise unobtainable heartthrob on a personal level, somehow managed to capture his heart. When? How? Once again, nobody knew. All they understood was they were absolutely shocked beyond belief.

And honestly, so was (name).

See, (name) sat by Makoto and Takeo in class and, like many girls, developed a crush on the silent brunette. It wasn't solely due to his looks, of course. (name) was the only person who knew Makoto rejected those girls because, while Takeo may have had a crush on them, they verbalized such nasty comments about him behind his back yet pursued said boy's best friend. It was a noble fact since it truly displayed how much Makoto cared for his friend whom people often ignored or sometimes bullied for his looks/demeanor.

(name) also greatly appreciated how Makoto overall was more than a typical pretty boy expecting everything to be handed to him: he was smart, kind, selfless, and modest at all times. He, himself, appreciated personality over anything else, understanding a person is way more than what is shown on the outside.

(name) cannot confidently say these are the same reasons all those girls liked Makoto (he never doubted it was solely Makoto's looks), but these were his own, even if he rarely had the confidence to approach him alone without Takeo bringing him into the conversation after catching his gaze at them. At that point, he usually avoided eye contact while furiously blushing he was caught staring at them (Makoto) and from his general shyness.

But to ever consider the possibility that this same handsome, popular, and kind guy reciprocated such a shy, unpopular guy like himself...(name) thought it was inconceivable.

Don't mistake him; of course he accepted Makoto's unexpected confession. He may have been shy, but he wasn't dense enough to think it'd be smart to reject the very person he's been admiring for a little over three months. Except, he couldn't deny he succumbed to imposter syndrome.

Before dating Makoto, (name) never once stood out among the crowd, nonetheless experiencing someone confessing their feelings for him. There were really no solidified reasons he ever should've believed in himself like other people did; encourage himself to break out of his shell and try seizing the moment, never shying away from chasing his dreams or those he loved.

So being entrusted with Makoto's heart, especially while fearing those who still pursue him would become vengeful? (name) was terrified ― worried he wasn't even worthy to date the boy he loved.

"Ping!"

That's when he received that text; curled up underneath his duvet, unable to find sleep despite it being midnight, melancholic about...well, his general being. His first thought was who'd even been reaching out to him at this hour, before turning over his phone. All confusion then turned to shock.

Again, it should be normal to see one's boyfriend message you something like this. But to (name), all he can question is why is he considered so special to have Makoto text him so late at night ― three hours after Makoto's self-appointed bedtime.

First it was having Makoto being the confessor (to a boy) after being confessed to for his entire life, then it was showing affection in front of others, and now it's texting someone late at night when his first priority should be rest. How many more surprises does he have in store to leave (name) absolutely befuddled? Is he consciously doing this so (name) understands no matter the reasoning, he loves him? Or is this what Makoto is like when he's in a relationship?

Despite drowning under his overthinking, (name) replies.

𝙈𝘼𝙆𝙊

Are you awake?

Yeah...

𝙈𝘼𝙆𝙊

I know something has
been bothering you
lately.

What is it? And please
be honest with me.

▏𝙒𝙧𝙞𝙩𝙚 𝙖 𝙢𝙚𝙨𝙨𝙖𝙜𝙚...▕ ꜱᴇɴᴅ ▏

He believes he's nothing more than a shadow following the brightly shining sun that brings light to others, a shadow without any presence or voice to make heard. When he tries to speak, all ears block out what is said since a shadow isn't something to be given recognition.

He's a nobody, in everyone's eyes ― he could see it every time he and Makoto passed by onlookers, hand-in-hand, or when girls still tried confessing their feelings to Makoto right in front of (name). Before this relationship even manifested, there was never importance behind his name or remembering his face until people found a reason to remember him: talk shit behind his back for dating their Makoto.

𝙈𝘼𝙆𝙊

What is it? And please
be honest with me.

Should he dare ask?

His fingers were already typing before he considered the ramifications.

I guess I was just try-
ing to understand why
you chose me...

Makoto's answer is immediate.

Because you're special ❤️