Chapter 1: Portal

Jade felt the smooth handle of the lever as he rested his palm on top of the smooth red outer covering.

"Well then. Time to put this lad into action!"
Jade decided as he pushed down the lever and a heavy 'CLICK' sound was heard. The groans of cogs swerling winded up as bars of light pierced through the void that is the room.

The light projected into the eccentric researcher's face as he shunned away from the flash. He recovered from his blurry vision as he looked around the room and saw many of the wires and pipes connected to the Shard that powered the machine.

"YES! IT'S WORKING! Hahaha!" Jade laughed hysterically as he covered his face in an attempt to suppress his laughter. His excitement however, was soon cut short when the continuos ray of blue light suddenly started flickering and the sound of glass shattering made its way to the researcher's senses.

He flipped his head to the source of the sound and gasped as he noticed that the different power condensers were starting to malfunction and the Shard was moving as violently as that of its interior matter.

The trepidation reached Jade as he scrambled to his computer. He looked at the screen and widened his eyes as the numbers and words were fluctuating constantly. The more he stared, the harder they were to read.

He kept his cool and tried to handle things professionally. He started typing on the computer frantically in an attempt to fix his current circumstance.

Another flash of light, going from blue to purple zapped the room as a force pushed Jade back into a wall. His computer unplugged and smashed to the ground as the portal opened in front of him.

"No...no. No, NO!" Jade was now frustrated as he got on his feet and tried to repair his computer. Objects started floating around as Jade noticed his sling back hovering towards the portal.

"The freaking portal is unstable! I...I..." Jade was now in panic as the portal tore parts of the wall off. He quickly grabbed his sling bag before it went too far and hugged it close before opening it and rummaging for things.

From the corner of his eye, the Shard could be seen hovering in mid-air. Jade was captured by it but almost passed out when he saw cracks forming on the shard and light seeping out from the cracks.

Knowing there was nothing left to do, he backed away as he was greeted with another burst of light when the Shard shattered into pieces. Instead of being pushed back though, it caused everything to hover and slowly move towards the portal...including Jade.

"Wait! No! Not yet...I'm not ready!" Jade shouted as he grabbed on his table to prevent himself from flying to the portal.

He looked to the door as the lights outside his room flickered as well, "I...I need my other arm at least!" Jade looked at his mechanical hand and tried to call for his armor, but the portal seemed to warp the surroundings, causing the room to be shielded with a purple barrier.

"This...this wasn't suppose to ha-" the table was pulled out from the wall as Jade was flinged into the portal.

The portal closed as everything went back to normal, except that the scientist was no longer around.