Chapter 23: Coin

"Alright! We've got the base foundations down." Pam applauded as she admired the progressively improving portal.

Jade crossed his arms as he examined the work approved, "Looks like something out from my world. I approve! Thanks again for your help..."

"No problem! Your blueprints are quite the beast of engineering. Specific and understandable. I'd get the scrap to construct it in no time!" Pam remarked.

Jade nodded slowly, "Yeah..." he took a glance at his coin satchel and sighed. Pam noticed this change of mood and questioned it.

"Well...you know, I'm gonna be honest, it will be quite long before I come back for the next payment. It isn't easy getting currency in this world."

Jade shifted to more easily look at the mechanic, "I'm not trying to talk down on economy here. It's just, with all this Starr park bullshit happening, it's quite difficult to make money."

Pam nodded in understanding, "Ah. Of course, tough work is that much. These days are difficult for all of us. Especially in war."

Jade's expression turned grim, "*Sigh*...It's been about 20 years since the last warfare I participated in ended. That time was difficult for me too. I remembered the galactic population suffered great loss due to constant bombardment from enemy forces and the danger of venturing out to get more. It's the same thing over here ain't it?"

Pam nodded, "I can't agree more. The lead brawlers need to conserve resources when splitting portions for resistance personnel. We get what we can from Starr park attacks and also new places we discover."

The two kept silent for a while, until Jade broke the silence, "I am a mercenary. Not sure if they have 'em 'ere but I'd happily deal with work like that."

That brought an idea to Pam, "I know how I can help. While I'll try to reduce my prices, you can try going to Supercity to help in being an undercover defender. Max, Surge and Meg frequently find armies of bots attacking. Defeating them may reward you."

Jade was listening intently, "That's not that difficult..."

Pam's smile faltered, "It isn't...but here's the problem—most of the places in Brawltopia already have defenders. They may not need your help. Attempting to sign in as our agents may not work as the mayors of the towns will decline,feeling no need of your assistance. Heroes have high maintenance pay, you know. So instead, you can hang around the frequently assaulted area on Supercity, working there with a normal job like fast food workers or security guards. If the bots attack, you may be able to assist. Scrap me the parts and I can reduce my prices. It's not much but it'll do."

Jade nodded, disappointed, but hopeful.

"I guess I can do part-time jobs...it's not much but it's honest work anyways."