i miss her

hey everyone! this is gonna take 2 days after the dragons farewell and what happened to astrid when she had a little bit of a breakdown

this was inspired by a photo i saw on tiktok! i didn't save the photo so i won't be able to put it here

It's been two days since the Berkians bid a farewell to their beloved dragons.  Life was hard and it wasn't the same as it was. No dragons flying around and no awful stench of fish from the feeding stations.

Vikings, being their tough and barbaric selves, most Berkians decided that there wasn't a point crying about it and that they should just move on in life. 

However, there was one particular Valkyrie who was both mentally and physically affected from saying goodbye to her dragon. This Valkyrie being none other than Astrid Hofferson.

Stormfly was Astrid's everything. Her best friend, her companion in battle and above all, her good girl. 

Since the farewell, Astrid never came out of her tent. No one decided to check on her because they all believed that she probably wanted some alone time.

That night, Hiccup heard a loud crash from Astrid's tent which was right next to his. No one else heard it as it was around 2 o'clock in the morning and they were all asleep.

He got worried and shut the book he was reading before quietly walking over to her tent.

"Astrid? Are you okay?" He cautiously asked before slowly walking into the tent. What he saw was absolutely shocking. 

Books all over the ground, fur blankets strewn everywhere and a smashed chair which was probably the crashing sound he heard. 

After taking in the sight before him, he saw Astrid, huddled in the corner of the tent with her knees brought up to her chest, crying.

Hiccup immediately ran up to her and knelt down infront her. He took one good look at her tear-stained face and took her into a warm embrace which she fell into. 

Astrid cried and cried onto his chest. They were both still in their day clothes because they weren't able to sleep. 

Hiccup rubbed circles soothingly on Astrid's back in an attempt to calm her down. He could tell that this was about Stormfly's leaving and that she took her anger out on the chair and practically anything she could get her hands on.

After a good five minutes, Astrid's sobs finally calmed down and was now breathing normally with a few sniffles here and there.

Hiccup sat down cross-legged and brought Astrid closer to him so that she was seated on his lap sideways. 

"You wanna talk about it?" He asked in the most gentle way possible.

"No, I'm fine, Hiccup," she retorted in an angry, yet sad tone. After that sentence, she tried to hold back the tears that once again welled up in her eyes. 

She didn't want to reveal that she missed her dragon so much because everyone around her acted like the goodbye was nothing. She didn't want to be seen as a weak person.

Hiccup saw a tear slip out of her eye and said, "No, sweetheart, you're not. I'm not gonna leave you until you tell me what happened."

Eventually,  Astrid gave in and conceded to Hiccup as she leaned her head on his chest, "I miss her, Hiccup! I miss my Stormfly. Why did we even have to let them go?" 

He didn't know how to answer because he felt the exact same way with Toothless. But deep down, he knew that the Hidden World was safer for the dragons.

All Hiccup could do was rock gently back and forth in an attempt to comfort her. 

The couple stayed like that for a while. Although Astrid crying and crying about Stormfly, she felt so safe and assured in Hiccup's arms. 

"Astrid..., Stormfly is safe in the Hidden World. Safer than she could ever be. I understand that you want her to come back and all but greedy humans will eventually find us and things would be much worse," he reassured. 

Astrid finally stopped crying and the couple were just cuddling in the corner of the tent now. 

"Yeah. You're right, Hiccup. I still miss her deeply but at least she's safe. That's what that matters, right?" She said as she looked up at Hiccup. Even sitting down, Hiccup was still taller than Astrid.

"Exactly," he chuckled and gave her a short but sweet kiss on the lips. Hiccup helped Astrid up and was about to head back to his tent when Astrid stopped him, "Hey, Hiccup? Could you stay with me? For the night?" 

"Of course, M'lady," he chuckled once again and got into bed with her after they both took off their armor which left Astrid in her blue bindings and leggings. Hiccup in his tunic and pants with his prosthetic by the bedside.

Hiccup wrapped his arms around Astrid's waist and pulled her closer to his chest. Astrid usually got cold during the night and Winter was nearing so she would be freeing some nights. With Hiccup with her, he felt so much warmer. 

They eventually fell asleep in each others arms. Both thinking about their dragons and the memories they made with them. The beautiful six years they had with the dragons had finally come to an end.

Astrid realised that from this night, she doesn't always have to act strong and brave even at her most vulnerable moments. Although as a child, her mother was very harsh on her and would always tell her to put on a brave face and that she was not to act weak in front of anyone.

Hiccup changed that and from that day, Astrid's mental and physical health improved by leaps and bounds because she had someone to talk to. She had Hiccup.

okay guys, this is my very first one-shot and my very first time writing them so don't expect so much 😅

i'm honestly very proud of this and it motivates me to continue. 

i hope you guys liked this one and feel free to comment/pm me any suggestions/requests!

stay positive <3