meeting the inlaws || 1

takes place pre httyd 3, post httyd 2! basically hiccup never really properly met astrid's parents and they invite him over for dinner. astrid's mom loves him but her dad on the other hand...

ps: they are in their httyd 3 outfits and i can only imagine astrid's parents in british accents for some reason

"Astrid do I have to?" Hiccup whined as they walked to her house. "Yes, you do. It's about time you properly met them. Not as Chief but as my boyfriend," she replied, holding his hand and dragging him to her house.

Ever since the two began dating when they were 19, Hiccup never properly met Astrid's parents. As Chief, yes, he had talked to them frequently but as Astrid's boyfriend? Totally different story.

"Oh come on, Astrid! Your dad doesn't even like me!" Hiccup whined again as they reached her house. Astrid knocked on the door.

"Shut up and smile," she said as the front door swung open, revealing Astrid's mother, Hilda Hofferson, grinning widely at them.

"Astrid, my dear! And Hiccup! Welcome welcome! Come in!" Hilda exclaimed. 

"Hey, Mom!" Astrid exclaimed back with as much enthusiasm and gave her mother a big bear hug before walking into the house. 

"Hey, Mrs Hofferson! Thanks for inviting us," Hiccup said kindly. "Oh, no worries, dear. And please, call me Hilda," 

Hiccup walked into the house as well and the door closed behind them. 

Astrid didn't come from a very rich family in terms of wealth. The house was small but had a warm and cozy atmosphere. She does, however, come from a particularly large family. Her parents, brother and two sisters all grew up here.

"Children, come downstairs! There's a guest!" Hilda hollered and the other three children came running down. Astrid, being 21, was the eldest of the four siblings.

Then you had 16 year old Erik, the second eldest. Not to forget the two sisters. 14 year old Freya and 11 year old Revna. The minute they all saw Astrid, the three children charged at her and swarmed her in the biggest hug. 

"You guys sure missed me even though I live only a 10 minute walk away," Astrid chuckled.

"Of course we missed you! You rarely come visit anymore!" Revna cried out.

They four siblings just laughed together. "They sure do love you very much," Hiccup said as he looked at them. 

When the children heard his voice, they immediately went all formal and stated, "Good evening, Chief Hiccup," 

Both Astrid and Hiccup laughed so hard when they said that because not only was it cute but almost no one on Berk does that. 

"You guys don't have to be so formal and everything. Just call me Hiccup!"

"Way better than saying 'Chief'!"

"Okay!"

"Yeah sure, whatever," Erik said in a monotonous voice. Being 16 years old, he was bound to act like this and everyone was used to it already.

All the children, which include Astrid and Hiccup according to Hilda, sat down in the living area and just talked to each other while Hilda prepared dinner.

They were having some Yak stew, chopped and boiled vegetables and roasted chicken. 

While they were doing this, Astrid's father, Arne Hofferson, walked down the stairs. He wasn't a very cheerful guy. Always had a frown on his face. His name was a coincidence  because Arne means eagle and just as eagles watch everything, he watched Astrid and Hiccup's every move. 

The man never liked Hiccup. He saw him as a form of shame to Stoick. A shame to Berk. He isn't a very nice and kind man either. Disciplining his children, especially Astrid, using unimaginable methods. From caning to making her sleep outside in the cold. But he loves her with all his heart and only wants her to be safe.

"Dinner's ready! Come, Children! Come, Arne!" Hilda shouted and laid all the food neatly on the table.

Hilda and Arne were seated at either ends of the table. Hiccup and Astrid on one side and the other siblings on the other. 

"Wow, Hilda! This looks amazing!" Hiccup exclaimed when he saw all the foods laid out on the table. "Why, thank you, dear. Now what are we waiting for? Dig in!" Hilda exclaimed and everyone began serving themselves.

"So, Astrid. What are you doing now?" Arne asked in the most polite tone he could ever do. 

"Well, not much really. Just settling into Hiccup's house, rescuing dragons from trapper barges and spending time with Hiccup whenever," she said and looked at Hiccup lovingly at the last sentence. 

Hilda thought they were very cute together but Arne couldn't stand it when Astrid kept mentioning Hiccup's name. 

"When you are recusing dragons, how is it done? I'm curious to know," Arne asked.

Astrid looked at Hiccup, signalling him to take this one. He hesitated for a moment before speaking, "It usually starts as a stealth mission but eventually Snotlout and the twins mess it up and it just turns into a dog fight," 

"Explain, dog fight," Arne demanded.

"Well, we have to start releasing dragons from their cages while fighting off the guards which usually ends up in a lot of fire everywhere and us coming home with tons of cuts and bruises," Hiccup and Astrid chuckle, thinking it's funny. 

"So, you are endangering my daughter? Putting her in a life or death situation?" Arne gritted his teeth and clenched his fists until his knuckles turned white.

"No, Mr Hofferson, it's not like that. You see, Astrid is heavily trained in close combat fighting and she know what she's doing. She even has Stormfly to protect her. Maybe yes, she does sprain and dislocate a few bones here and there but she's the most experienced out of all of us," Hiccup said, trying to stop Arne from lashing out.

"So, you let  Astrid get hurt like this and you just talk about it like its nothing? And not to mention what happened to her a year ago in Drago's ship when my own daughter was ra-" 

"Dad, that's enough," Astrid spoke up before letting her dad say her worst memory. 

"Shut it, Astrid! This is between Hiccup and I only," Arne lashed out. 

Hilda instructed Erik, Freya and Revna to go upstairs to their room and she followed suit as well, leaving Astrid, Hiccup and Arne at the dining table alone.

"Mr Hofferson. You don't know what you're saying," Hiccup said, trying to calm him down.

"Yes, I do you idiot! From what you're telling me, you do not care about my daughter at all. Do you even love her? What kind of person sends people out on suicide missions and laughs about it?"

Hiccup didn't know how to respond. Was he really doing this? All that came out of his mouths were stutters. 

"Hmph. I knew it," Arne scoffed and went upstairs. Leaving Hiccup and Astrid alone downstairs.

"Hiccup, I-" 

"Let's go, Astrid," Hiccup grabbed her hand and walked out, slamming the door behind them.

On the walk home, which wasn't every long, felt like hours to Astrid because Hiccup didn't say a word. 

a/n: valka does not live with them

When they arrived home, Hiccup just went to their balcony and stood there, thinking about what Arne said.

Astrid had no clue what was going on. She could only guess that it had something to do about what her dad said.

part 2 coming soon