the thawfest games || 3

Being the early bird she was, Astrid woke up at the ungodly hour of 4:30am. In this situation, it was a good thing because she decided to look around the area for anyone or thing. 

Before leaving the cave, she grabbed her axe and propped her hood over her head and made sure the bushes provided enough coverage so Hiccup wouldn't be noticed. 

It was still dark out and the sun wouldn't rise for another 4 to 5 hours since winter is nearing. She walked a few miles before hearing a blood-curdling scream nearby.

The scream soon stopped and she assumed it was another tribute winning over another tribute. Following her instincts, she hid behind a large tree. 

Running back was too risky because one, she'd probably get caught and lose her life. Two, she'd risk giving off the location of her and Hiccup's whereabouts. 

As she hid behind the tree, Astrid heard heavy footsteps closing in. She was so goddamn scared she couldn't move and her hands were shaking like a leaf. 

She carefully turned her head to see what was going on and saw a middle-aged man walking passed  the tree. Not towards the tree. 

She sighed of relief but soon made the worst mistake of her life. As she stepped back, she didn't see the twig behind her and unfortunately stepped on it. Making a very distinct 'snap' sound. 

Fuck. She though as now she had to fight off the man in a kill or be killed battle. 

There was no escape. She had to fight. It's part of the game. 

She inhaled deeply and ran out from hiding and charged at the man. Their weapons met with a loud clanging sound which echoed through the whole forest. 

Astrid saw that the man's sword was covered in fresh blood. He was the killer of the person who let out the scream. 

They continued to fight. Both with weapons and physically. Multiple clangs were heard and some were so loud that they could be heard from Berk village itself. 

The man began to overpower Astrid, pushing her backwards to the rockwall behind them. Her axe was eventually thrown out of her hands, hitting a nearby tree. 

All she had now was her calloused hands. But she was not fit to fight any longer. Her face and arms had cuts and bruises all over. The man had a fully sharpened sword with muscular arms and from what Astrid can see, extremely strong hands that would knock you out unconscious with just one punch.

She was eventually pinned against the rock wall, weak and unsure of what to do.

"Fearless Astrid Hofferson, eh?" The man said in a thick Scottish accent and licked his lips, using the tip of his sword to lift her chin up to meet his gaze, "More like Fearful  Astrid Hofferson," 

Just as he was about to plunge his sword into her heart, a quick whooshing sound was heard. Followed by soft "thud" and the man falling to the ground, presumably dead by Astrid. 

She looked at the man's back and saw an arrow. Not just any arrow, Hiccup's arrow! Looking up, she saw him standing a few feet away from her, bow in his hands. 

"Hiccup!" She ran to him and fell into his embrace. 

"What were you thinking, Astrid?! Going out all alone in the dark! You almost died!" Hiccup reprimanded silently. 

"I know. I'm sorry. I just wanted to make sure that no one was near us!" She exclaimed softly. 

Hiccup pinched the bridge of his nose, "Well, what matters now is that you're alive and safe. C'mon, let's get back to clean those wounds of yours,"