it's time

hey everyone! this takes place during and after the goodbye scene of httyd 3. basically it's focused on the part where hiccup and astrid touch foreheads which was confirmed that they were signalling to each other that it's time for the next step, we're ready for marriage, that kind of stuff! plus some of my other add-ins of what happened after the dragons left.

by the way, i was listening to the soundtrack of the goodbye scene while writing this and, I DO NOT RECOMMEND. it's so sad i literally cried and of course you can listen to it if you want to! 

anyways, enough of my talking. go on! start reading!!!!

Hiccup looks to the Light Fury, skittish and stirring in the center of the crowd, but, for once, making no attempt to flee. He gently waves her over, moving away from Toothless.

"He's all yours," he says to the Light Fury before hopping back into Astrid's arms, giving them some room.

The Light Fury approaches Toothless, sniffling and nuzzling him. He coos, licking her face.

As Hiccup and Astrid watch, she leans her head onto Hiccups chest in relief and exhaustion. When Hiccup looks over to her, she looks back at him in the eye and they both know what they are thinking.

"Astrid, it's time," he says in a serious yet calm voice. Astrid takes a while to figure out what to respond. She knows he's talking about marriage but she doesn't know how to feel about it. 

One part of her feels that, yes, this is the absolute best idea ever. The other part of her, unfortunately, feels that she's not ready. She feels afraid to become Chieftess of Berk and she fears that some Berkians won't accept her as Chieftess because the tradition is that Hiccup is suppose to have another Chief's daughter marry him.

Astrid is just a regular woman on Berk who so happened to be the Chief's love interest. 

Hiccup notices Astrid's hesitance to reply and he knew exactly why. "Astrid, I know you're afraid. But I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. We're already betrothed and have been courting for 3 years now. We're ready, Astrid. I know I am and I know you are too," he reassured her as he placed his hand on her cheek.

Taking in his words of reassurance, Astrid knew that she wanted to marry him. She loved him as he loved her. "You're right, Hiccup. We are ready. And if this was a proposal, my answer is yes," she smiled at him as they leaned their foreheads together to seal it all up.

After pulling away from each other, Hiccup looked at Toothless. Toothless looked back at him and looked out onto the horizon. He turned back to Hiccup and his face displayed the question is it time?  

Hiccup slowly hopped over to Toothless, steadying himself against him, "You're right, bud. It's time. I was so busy fighting for a world that I wanted... I didn't think about what you needed. You've looked after us for long enough. Time to look after yourselves."

Astrid slowly started to realise what Hiccup meant and she couldn't believe it. She didn't want to until she turned to Valka who nodded at her solemnly. 

Astrid walked over to Stormfly and untacked her, removing her saddle for the last time. "Oh, Stormfly... My good girl," she said with tears in her eyes as she leaned her forehead onto Stormfly's horn.

In solidarity, all the other Berkians did the same. One by one, they removed the saddles from their dragons and said their final goodbyes with them.

Hiccup and Toothless watch as the remaining Berkians remove their dragons' saddles and say their goodbyes. He smiles, tears in his eyes. He turns to Toothless and gently takes him by the muzzle.