mama

some drabbles for mother's day ♡

ps: if you don't know what drabbles are it's basically a few short stories in a oneshot which is usually under one big category

i know in the uk mother's day was in march but majority of the world celebrates their mother's day in may so i decided to write this one for may instead of march

sleepless nights

Ever since Hiccup and Astrid had their first child, Zephyr, they barely got any sleep. Zephyr would wake them up in the middle of the night with her crying. 

They knew it was a common occurrence for newborns but sometimes it just got a little hard, especially for Astrid. Just like any other night, they were woken up yet again from the desperate cries in the room next door. 

"I'll get her," Astrid said groggily to Hiccup as she rubbed her eyes. She shuffled to the room next door and picked Zephyr up from her cot, swaying side to side. 

"Shh. You're okay, you're okay," she said, trying to get her to fall back asleep. To avail, Zephyr only cried even louder. 

"Oh, baby. Please, for mommy," Astrid said desperately. She has been so stressed lately after Zephyr for many reasons. This went on for quite a long time and Hiccup still couldn't sleep. So, he went over to the room next door to try and help. 

"Any luck?" He said, still half-asleep. "Does it look like there's any luck?" Astrid retorted, swaying from left to right with a baby in her arms. 

"Go and sleep, Astrid. I'll take it from here," Hiccup said but Astrid opposed. "No! I need to do this. It's my job, as a mother. I'll be fine," she said, her voice breaking in the process. 

"No, Astrid, you're not. You need to rest," Hiccup said, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. 

"What if I don't be a good mother for her? I can't even take care of my own child," she said, tear drops falling down her cheeks. 

Hiccup brought her into warm hug, Zephyr in between them. "Let her sleep with us tonight, maybe that'll help," Hiccup suggested. 

They walked back to their room and gently placed Zephyr in between the two of them. Within seconds, the whole family fell asleep in each other's warmth.

snow day

The season of Snoggletog had just arrived in New Berk. The villagers were out in the snow building snow dragons to commemorate their reptilian friends. 

While others decided to stay inside their warm house with the fireplace up and running. The Haddock family decided to go out and have a full day of activities. 

"Zephyr! Nuffink! Let's go!" Chieftess Astrid Hofferson-Haddock yelled. Her voice boomed through their enormous house as she called for their children.

A brunette haired girl and a blonde haired boy came running down the stairs, all geared up in their winter attire.

"Alright! Now who's ready for a full day of fun?" The Chief, Hiccup Haddock, said as he came into the room. 

The two children shouted "me" repeatedly, showing how eager they were to get out in the snow.

The family then stepped foot out of the house into the white scenery around them. They threw snowballs at each other and built snow dragons to commemorate their old friends. 

The parents ended up getting tired from all the activeness and let the kids aggressively throw snowballs at them. 

They sat down at the veranda of their house and watched their two beautiful children play in the snow. 

teenager

After Zephyr had turned 15, she changed a lot. She was now in her teenager years and was now trying to be like "them". By "them", I mean like the cool kids in the village of New Berk. 

She began spending less time in the house and talked to her parents less. This made Hiccup and Astrid, especially Astrid, very worried. 

One night, Astrid decided to have a little mother-daughter dinner date. The boys went out hunting while she prepared for their dinner. 

She was almost done setting the table when she heard the door creak open. She ran as fast as she could to the door and managed to catch Zephyr before she went upstairs. 

"Hey, Zeph! Come sit, I made dinner," Astrid said as she wiped her hands on her apron. 

"Okay...," Zephyr said reluctantly because she just wanted to lock herself in her room. "Where's Dad and Nuffink?" She asked when she realised that no one else was in the house. 

"They're out on their own adventure. It's just you and me tonight," Astrid replied as she sat down at the table. 

The first few minutes were a little awkward because they didn't know what to talk about. The last thing Astrid wanted to bring up was why Zephyr was spending so much time outside. But from the looks of it, it was the only option she had. 

"Can I ask you a question?" She asked, breaking to silence. 

"Uh, sure," Zephyr responded nonchalantly.

"You're really... different, nowadays. You spend most of your time outside and rarely talk to me and your dad anymore. You don't even talk to Nuffink anymore," said Astrid.

It took awhile for Zephyr to reply. Astrid remembered what it was like to be 15 as well.

"Well, you can't expect me to stay at home forever, Mom! I'm 15, turning 16 soon and I need to explore a world of my own. I mean, weren't you like this when you were 15?" Zephyr replied. 

Astrid told her daughter that she was just worried for her. She also wanted her to be safe because you never know what's out there. 

But at the same time, Astrid needs to understand that this is what it's like having a teen daughter. It's sad, but that's life.

Zephyr will never stay a 6 year old and will one day be at the altar marrying her true love. She will one day leave the nest to start her own family.

The life of a mother is never easy and will always be a roller coaster. But we underestimate them sometimes. 

thank you to all the mothers out there who care for us children with everything you've got. to my mom (even though i know you're not gonna read this), thank you for always being there for me and being my shoulder to cry on. i honestly don't know what i'd do without you <3

i'm really sorry for not updating for almost a month now and i'll post a separate chapter for the explanation ^^

xoxo, nikki