the thawfest games || 1

hunger games inspired! in a world where drago successfully built his dragon army and is now chief of berk. however, he hates that the population of berk is so big. takes place post httyd 2 and yes, stoick still died. 

ok but they still have their dragons so drago only took valka's dragons (not cloudjumper) and his own. 

enjoy! + here i'm calling it thawfest games but i know there's a different meaning to it in httyd

_________________________________

Astrid

The annual Thawfest Games are just around the corner. Berk has celebrated these games for over 400 years and they've absolutely loved it. Usually win the axe-throwing segment of the games and that's why I used  to look forward to them.

But this time? A completely different story. After Drago succeeded in the battle 2 years ago, he took over as Chief of Berk. After that, everything changed.

Berk went from it's lively atmosphere to a horrific one. No more meals in the Great Hall as a village. No more dragon races. Nothing. Just pure horror.

The worst part of everything were the Thawfest Games. Before Drago, the Thawfest Games included 4 different categories - Dragon racing, axe-throwing, relay races and dragon-equitation. 

a/n: i made up dragon-equitation as a way of explaining how effectively and efficiently your ride a dragon. in real word context, equitation stands for how effectively one can ride a horse.

Now, the Thawfest Games became the unthinkable. Drago thought the population of Berk was too high. "Too many mouths to feed!" He always said. 

Every year, 8 people would be chosen to participate as tributes. They would be placed in a forested area near the village. 

Each person would need to find a way to survive until they are the last one standing. That means the Thawfest Games are now about kill or be killed.

You aren't allowed to have your dragon with you. You are only allowed a few weapons and one bag with everything you need. 

This year's Thawfest Games fall on the last Thursday of November. Which is in two days time. Tributes are chosen tomorrow.

So far, I haven't been chosen as a Tribute yet. And I beg the Gods I'm not chosen this year. 

Third Person POV

"People of Berk! Welcome to our Second Annual Thawfest Games!" Drago announced in his hoarse voice. He stood at the bottom of the stairs of the Great Hall while the people of Berk were gathered at the Plaza.

"As you all know. 8 tributes will be chosen to participate in these games. Let's start shall we?" 

Hiccup stood with Valka and Gobber. Astrid stood with her family and so did the rest of the Gang. The rest of Berk was just clustered together in the Plaza.

Drago placed in hand in the clear glass bowl with all the names of all the Berkians. He slowly pulled out a piece of parchment with the name of the first tribute.

"Svart Borksson!" He shouted out and a middle-aged man with dark brown hair came out from the crowds and stood beside Drago.

Then came the second name, then the third, then the fourth. Until the fifth, which shocked all of Berk. Even Drago.