the thawfest games || 2

please read part 1 if you haven't! 

It was the morning of the annual Thawfest Games. Tributes were in their houses getting ready for the Games. 

Packing any last minute essentials. Saying goodbye to family because only one out of the eight Tributes are going to return. And just mentally preparing themselves. 

Hiccup was hugging his mother and Gobber goodbye. Toothless watched with sadness as the family said their goodbyes. 

He didn't really know what was happening. But he knew it wasn't good. Valka was sobbing and her eyes were all red and puffy. 

Gobber held it all in but a few tears still managed to escape from his eyes. Hiccup stayed strong and gave Toothless one big hug before exiting out the door to the Great Hall. 

Meanwhile, in House Hofferson, Astrid was hugging her family goodbye as well. Her mother, Hilda, was deeply affected and was at the same state Valka was at. 

"I assure you guys that I will come back. I'm the best warrior on Berk, remember?" Astrid hugged her siblings. 

Revna, the youngest, was sobbing as she hugged Astrid, "But what if you don't?" She croaked. 

"I will," Astrid sighed. Deep down, she was absolutely terrified. All her confidence was slowly leaking out of her as the Games neared.

Like Hiccup, she bid her family goodbye and made her way to the Great Hall. 

____________________________

"Tributes! Welcome to the Thawfest Games," Drago's voice boomed through the Great Hall. 

He sat on his throne as all eight tributes stood in front of him. Before continuing, he scanned all Tributes to see who was the strongest and the weakest. 

When his eyes settled on Astrid, it clicked to him that not only was she the strongest of all eight, but also the weakest.

Drago has heard of Astrid's amazing skills on the battlefield and how she was Berk's best warrior. But he also knew that Astrid was in love with the one and only Hiccup Haddock. 

As many vikings said, "The fatal flaw of romantic love"

And that was Astrid's weakness. Which told Drago that he just needed to get Hiccup into a very sticky situation for Astrid to crumble and fall. 

"You will all be designated individual starting points. You're goal is to survive and win. And note, there will only be one Victor,"

He gave out everyone's starting points and lucky enough, Hiccup had the north and Astrid had the north-west. Not only were they close but they were near the Cove. 

Tributes were individually taken to their starting points by Drago's guards. 

Not long after, the loud bellow of a horn was heard. Marking the start of The Thawfest Games. 

____________________________________

"Astrid? Astrid!" Hiccup shouted out as he reached the Cove. 

"Hiccup!" She called out as she ran to him and they collided into a tight bear hug. 

"Okay, okay. We just need to stay together and work together to survive," he said, looking around, making sure no one was near them. 

They began collecting firewood and storing them in a small area in the Cove so that they always has supply of it. 

Not long after, they found a small cave nearby which could be covered by bushes, making it very discreet. 

Astrid transferred their supply of firewood to the cave while Hiccup gathered bushes to cover the cave. 

While doing so, they heard the sound of a twig snapping in the distance. Dragon? Human?  Either way they'd probably get killed if they didn't hide. 

Hiccup rushed Astrid into the cave and he covered up the cave as fast as he could. He only managed to cover up so much but enough to the point where they couldn't be seen. 

The top of the cave was still visible and whoever was coming would clearly see the opening. 

Through the small crevices of the bushes, Hiccup peaked through to find Arvid Audgunn, a rather old man with multiple swords and axes with him. 

He motioned to Astrid to stay quiet as he noticed Arvid advancing towards the cave having noticed the opening. 

Despite having mediocre skills in axe and sword fighting, he sure is a dab hand in archery. He quietly aligned the arrow along the bow aimed for Arvid's heart.

He took a deep breath in and released the arrow which plunged itself right into Arvid's heart, causing him to fall to the ground, dead.  

First tribute down. Only 5 left to go and then... Hiccup needed to choose. Him or Astrid?

He went to check Arvid to see if he was actually dead. Thankfully, yes. 

Hiccup then motioned to Astrid that everything was clear and they could go back to setting up their humble abode for the night. 

A few hours later, nightfall arrived and the shining moon had replaced the bright sun in the sky. The chirps of crickets and rustling of leaves created a calm ambience. 

However, the low growls in the distance didn't. Outside the village of Berk was known as a home to many wild and feral dragons. From your tiny Terrible Terror, to the horrifying Whispering Death. 

Another aspect that didn't contribute to the calm ambience was the fact that other Berkians were lurking out there. 

Hiccup has successfully covered the entrance of the cave in many thick bushes. So now, it just looked like a plant grew against the rock wall.

In the cave, the fire was put out in order to not attract unwanted guests. Hiccup was on his back with his bag acting as a pillow. 

The cave didn't have a ceiling or roof. It opened up a window to the sky. Hiccup stared wide awake at the glowing stars as Astrid slept soundly with her head on his chest. 

Hiccup just couldn't stop thinking about what happens after all the Tributes have gone. Well, if they successfully managed to get rid of all the others. 

How could he possibly choose between him and Astrid? He knows that he couldn't live without her. But at the same time, he knows he can't leave Astrid because of a stupid game. 

He just continued to look up at the stars and frequently switch his gaze to the sleeping valkyrie in his arms. 

Now all he had to do was wait for what tomorrow would bring. 

part 2 complete!!! honestly pretty happy with this one! i hope you guys enjoy it too!!

qotd: where are you guys from? 🤍

as seen in my bio, i'm from the uk! but my ethnicity is completely not related to anything british at all lol

stay positive <3333