Chapter 31- Til' Death Do Us Part

Harry's P.O.V

McGonagall was dressed in a dark robe that reached the floor. It was covered in dainty shining gems. She smiled warmly at her students, and I didn't think I'd ever seen her so excited.

"Good evening students! Thank you all for attending Hogwarts' first every charity ball. As you all know, tonight, we will be hosting a ballroom dancing competition. To enter into the competition, you must donate a minimum of five Galleons. All donations will go to families who are still recovering after the devastating war. The prize for the competition will be-" she waved her wand and the curtains opened dramatically to reveal a large golden trophy. It had a pure silver plaque, but it was too far away for me to read.

 "This golden trophy that comes with a silver plaque. The winner will have their name magically ingrained into it." She paused as a few students marveled at the beautifully crafted trophy. "And upon Mr. Potters' agreement- if the winner so wishes it- you can have a one-on-one outing with Harry Potter himself."

I felt my face heat up at the mention of my name. Students whispered to each other, and girls giggled to themselves. Majority of them were the younger students. I suddenly realized why McGonagall had opened the dance to the younger years.

It allowed more students to be willing to donate. 

But as I looked up at her smiling kind face, I couldn't help but feel as if I'd been set in a trap. 

Oh well, I told myself, it's for the donation profits. 

I searched for Draco in the crowd. He had a few glamours just like I did but, nevertheless, it was easy to spot him. He was the only person in this whole room that made my heart skip a beat when I looked in his eyes.

He was glaring at Dennis, and I could only assume Draco thought it was his doing. Dennis was really into pranks, I had noticed. He'd do well with George at Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. I'd have to talk to George about it sometime, I noted to myself. 

"Of course, considering this is also the very first year that Hogwarts' younger students have been able to attend a Hogwarts dance, I would also like to note that 3rd years and younger would need to be accompanied by a chaperone. Now, if you haven't already signed up and entered your donation, please do that now."

I looked back to where Draco had been standing but he wasn't there. Nor was he racing up to the donation bin like several other students. I thanked Merlin when I noticed some of the students were merely placing a donation instead of signing up.

I scanned the crowds for Draco once more but there were too many students to be able to see him.

My search for Draco was interrupted when Ron came stumbling up to me. 

"Wow," he breathed out. "They really outdid themselves this year." He took a bite out of some sort of fancy mini sausage stick and glanced around the Great Hall.

He was right, I thought as I got a good glance of my surroundings. There was an elegant chandelier hanging from the great hall and I could only assume it'd been transfigured to be so beautiful. Black curtains were draped all around the room. There were white tablecloths and white crystal balls in the center of the round dining tables. Other than that, everything was black.

The crystal balls appeared to be projecting stars near the transfigured ceiling. They looked like small glowing orbs of light just floating in the air. Overall, the Great Hall looked beautiful. 

I wondered how Hogwarts was able to afford such extravagant decor on such a short notice. 

"Have you seen Hermione, Ron?" I questioned him. Draco often spoke to Hermione so maybe she could tell me where he might be.