Chapter 2

Zhan POV:

The sound of soft footsteps stirs me from my slumber. I can hear the gentle pitter-patter of rain on the windows, and all it does is make me want to go back to sleep. I roll over and lay on the bed flat on my stomach with half of the covers on me, snoring away until the intruder walks into my room. The bed dips slowly at the edge and makes me feel it. 

"Come on, A-Zhan

"Come on, A-Zhan. Time to wake up!" I hear my aunt's voice above me, followed by a gentle stroke of my hair. It reminds me of my mom, so I blink my eyes with a slight smile on my lips but get disappointed when I realize what a fool I am.

Knowing very well about my mentality, she doesn't push me further. Instead, give me some time to adjust and let me sit on the bed. Her fingers brush the wild hair off my face and caress it gently. "You're going to miss your favorite breakfast I have made for you. Better get it before A-Cheng eats all those." She smiles and leans down to press a kiss on my forehead before getting up from the bed and leaving the room.

Eventually, I lean back against the headboard and drop my head there to stare at the ceiling. It's not interesting, but it reminds me of my schedule today, which I have no clue about. I abhor it. My uncle Jiang Fengmian put me on admission to my cousin Cheng's college before I arrived here, wanting me to continue my studies and be free from stress. It's his ambition to bring my old self back somehow, which is full of laughter and mischief. But I don't think it's possible anymore.

All my charms were buried underneath the earth with my parents' corpses. As much as it's true that my parents will never be with me anymore, the charms that I have lost will never be with me anymore. It's like.. once the mirror has broken, it's never seen again, and no matter how hard anyone tries to put it back together, the cracks will always show.

Taking a deep breath, I ruffle my hair and get off the bed to head straight to the bathroom to take a shower. The water feels warm on my body, but it can't provide the warmth I'm missing now. It hurts. Not wasting time, I turn off the shower and get back into the room to change quickly into a t-shirt and jeans and throw my black jacket on top to shield myself from the rain.

When I feel all right, I leave the room with my bookbag and step down the stairs. It's difficult. My body feels like it's being weighed down by a mountain at the sight of everyone waiting for me at the dining table. It reminds me of home. Tears well up in my eyes, but I blink them away when my cousin approaches me and wraps his arm around my shoulders, guiding me to the dining table.

Each dish is delicious when it's my favorite. They're making sure that I'm comfortable and wanted by all. I can feel it. The smell gets stronger. My stomach growls, and I huff a small breath through my nose before giving up and smiling at everyone. The breakfast goes smoothly while having a little conversation about college, which they believe will help me with the difficult times.

Once everything has settled, my cousin and I leave the house and get in his car. The ride goes awkwardly with my nervousness and anxiety because I know nothing about this new college, but he promises me that he'll always be by my side and protect me whenever I'm in need. It calms me a bit, so I give him a small smile and lean against his side, providing him with the familial love that he is longing for.

When we reach the college, there are these three guys, who are immediately approaching us. It makes me nervous. I look at them warily until my cousin wraps his arm around my shoulders and pulls me against his side before hitting his head with mine playfully. "Don't get nervous. They are my friends." He reassures and introduces each one to me with slight enthusiasm. They seem casual and perfect for their names, which are Zheng Fanxing, Guo Cheng, and Qi Peixin. 

As time gets nearer, we make a separate way to our lockers to own them for ourselves

As time gets nearer, we make a separate way to our lockers to own them for ourselves. My eyes skim the students at their lockers. I watch as some of them fumble with their locks. "Must be a freshman, just like me." I smile and stand a few feet away, waiting for a few people to move so I can get to my locker. Just as I make it to my own locker, I feel a shove from behind. It's only my first day at a new college, and I'm already being pushed by someone.

Frowning a little, I turn around and find a short girl and boy standing there with amusing looks on their faces. Who are they? What do they want to do with me? There are a million questions arise in my mind, but none of them feel harmful, so I wait patiently until they open their mouth. The girl, who seems proud of herself, moves forward with a stiff attitude and holds her hand out to me, "Hi, I'm Meng Ziyi, and this is Ji Li. You're Cheng's cousin, right?"

"Mhm, yeah." I nod, clearing my throat and shaking her hand.

"Well, we're friends from now on." She says, grabbing my wrist and pulling me to my locker while pushing the people aside. For someone like me, it's surprisingly nice, which scares me a bit. She then opens the locker on the first try and gives me a look which I don't know what to think. All I have to say is at least getting used to it.

Not wanting to think about anything, I drop some of my books inside and slam the door shut. I don't want to carry all the books around because there's no need for them, in general. Their approach seems inviting when Ji Li is in the same class as mine. It helps me a lot when I know nothing here. We became close friends at the end of the second class because he resembled my old self.

My heart feels warm even if it's hammering in my chest in the beginning. I slowly adjust to the atmosphere when Ji Li keeps nudging me to gain attention and suggesting easy smiles, pranks, and idle teasing. I hate to admit it, but it's true that I like this college. It brings peace to my wounded heart and keeps entertaining me. The whole day goes faster than I thought, so I don't appreciate it.

When college is over, Ji Li and Ziyi suggest going home for a walk, and I like it, so I inform my cousin not to wait for me. Walking down the street, I can see the colors and smiles on people's faces. It seems like the sun is shining on their faces.

Admiring a little, I walk into my own world and think about something until a stranger, who is dressed totally in black, bumps into me and makes me fly face-first into Ziyi's shoulder. My heart is thumping in my chest heavily without slowing down. It's weird. The sudden contact urges me to see the stranger's face, so I move away and turn to look for him.

"Idiot! Watch, where you are going?" Ziyi yells at him hoarsely while grabbing me by my elbow and holding me at her side.

The man doesn't give a damn about her as he's walking casually with his head down. In some way, it feels unreal. A harsh wind blows and makes me blind for a few seconds. In the meantime, he disappears like dust. How could it be? My eyes are searching for him in the surroundings, like searching for a fish in the water of a mirage, but there's no use. Why do I care this much? Who is this man?